Speak Now by Taylor Swift | Teen Ink

Speak Now by Taylor Swift MAG

July 14, 2011
By princeofsparx DIAMOND, Manhattan, New York
princeofsparx DIAMOND, Manhattan, New York
57 articles 8 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
Those who reach for the stars should never forget the flowers that bloom at their feet.


Hot off the wheels of her critically acclaimed sophomore album, “Fearless,” Taylor Swift proves she's here to stay with the release of her highly anticipated album “Speak Now.” During the last two years, Swift has practically conquered the world before our eyes. She received numerous accolades and won countless awards, including the highly coveted Grammy for Album of the Year, and is quickly on her way to becoming America's sweetheart. Known for her honest musical approach to love, Swift's new album is nothing short of love stories and fairy tales, reminding us why we fell in love with this country star in the first place.

When I first heard that ­Taylor Swift was going to be releasing a new album, I was excited. I thought “Fearless” was musical genius not only for its lyrical maturity, but also its connection with the audience. If she could re-create this in her third album, it would be a sure-fire hit.

Swift doesn't disappoint. “Speak Now” is not only a natural progression of maturity in her life, but it manages to keep the essence of her vulnerability that made audiences fall in love with her. Her first single, “Mine,” a catchy up-tempo song, has already become a hit. Her second single, “Back to December,” a slight departure from her usual upbeat pop records, highlights her honest and powerful voice in an emotional ballad.

Other notable tracks include “Dear John,” a melancholy letter in the form of a song, and “Long Live,” an encouraging anthem that doubles as Swift's tribute to her band. My favorites are “Enchanted” and “Mean.” “Enchanted,” written about Owl City's Adam Young, is completely different from anything Swift has sung before. Not only is it expertly crafted, but a short story formulates in your mind as it progresses, a knack that Swift has perfected since “Fearless.” “Mean” is a country-style track, proving Swift's roots still shine as bright as ever despite her transition into mainstream pop.

I would recommend “Speak Now” to everyone because we can all relate to these songs. This is easily the most memorable, dense, and powerful album Swift has produced. She is clearly a force to be reckoned with in the music industry for years to come.