Spark. Burn. Fade. by Correatown | Teen Ink

Spark. Burn. Fade. by Correatown MAG

By upsidedown GOLD, Brooklyn, New York
upsidedown GOLD, Brooklyn, New York

A smooth voice pulls you into a psychedelic dream. Singer Angela Correa, wraps you in the melodious and sweet lyrics of the album “Spark. Burn. Fade.” The band Correatown – composed of Jenni Tarma, Jason Ruck and Angela Correa – writes music in the genres of indie rock and dream pop. Their first album, “Spark. Burn. Fade.” is filled with meaning. The album’s most apparent theme is heartbreak, and their music truly connects with people going through difficult times. These songs are perfect for anyone, whether they’re crying or laughing, and the haunting voice of Correa will linger in your head for days.

The music of Correatown has been featured on popular TV series such as “Grey’s Anatomy” and “How I Met Your Mother.” In fact, watching these shows was how I first discovered Correatown’s amazing music. Their style is comparable to that of Sara Bareilles; the vocals in “Spark. Burn. Fade.” cause the words to melt together, like dark chocolate personified. Correa’s voice seems to glide over the lyrics filling every syllable with emotion. Her dreamy and airy singing makes the sometimes heavy lyrics lighter and easier to accept. In the song “Racing Tides,” she sings, “I raced the tides before dawn/ I’d never lose,” suggesting a severe loathing toward failure, yet her voice allows these words to simply bring light to the issue instead of punishing it. 

The album does not use electronic instruments. You can hear the strumming of real guitars and the scratch of fingers over the strings, such as in the beginning of “Fascination.” This gives the songs an authenticity and vintage feel that electronic dance music cannot provide. Hearing real people play real instruments forms a deeper connection between the listener and the musician. You can feel the chords pounding through you. Their music brings you to a place between imagination and reality.

Throughout the album, the lyrics outline problems in a relationship, or the ending of one. The singing is both mournful and hopeful which pairs beautifully with the story the lyrics tell. “Nightlight” demonstrates longing for a partner in the words “I burned so brightly for you but you just keep me waiting/ Yeah I’d like a nightlight to burn for me one day.” Broken love is not the only theme of this album. Many teen issues such as identity and anxiety are also explored. In “All The World (I Tell Myself)” the lyrics state “Tell me I’m strong/ Tell me I’m weak/ Tell me I’ll never, ever bend/ Tell me I’m fire/ Tell me I’m cold,” which shows the struggle every teenager faces when trying to find themselves in a maze of societal pressure.

“Spark. Burn. Fade.” is a heartfelt and genuine album that is woven with touching vocals, emotional lyrics and universal messages. Dreamy tones soften the sorrow worked into each song. Whether the rhythm is slow or upbeat it will entrance you and leave your head spinning with wonder.