It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World | Teen Ink

It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World

December 24, 2017
By BenParker3737 DIAMOND, South Burlington, Vermont
BenParker3737 DIAMOND, South Burlington, Vermont
91 articles 5 photos 16 comments

Let me just say for the record, if someone compiled a list of the most ridiculously overdone films ever made, I’d be very surprised if It’s A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World didn’t make number one (or at least number two). Alright, compared to most R-rated action films today like The Hitman’s Bodyguard, this film plays it pretty safe, but still, if you’re looking for something even remotely close to serious here, I would strongly advise against seeing this film. Anyway, this slightly over-the-top as well as overlong movie (the shortest version is 167 minutes straight) kicks off with a mysterious stranger driving his car off a cliff, attracting the attention of several previously vacation-bound people. He (literally) kicks the bucket, but not before revealing that $350,000 is buried under “a big W”. At first, the travelers try to reasonably work out a deal about all that cash, but it doesn’t take long for the whole thing to dissolve into absolute chaos as each traveler frantically races to get the money first. And what chaos it is. Whether it’s the couple trying to blast their way out of a supply store’s basement (with explosive results) or the three dope-headed men trying to not crash an out-of-control airplane, it’s absolutely insane (or at the very least, dangerously close to it). In a nutshell, while it may be too hair-brained, loony, and completely wacko for some, my dad included (especially in the scenes with Ethel Merman, who simply does not know how to close her mouth), for those willing to invest their time and energy in it, it’s a comedic masterpiece, especially with all the hilarious cameos by Jerry Lewis, The Three Stooges (in one of their last well-known performances), and way more.