Resident Evil: The Final Chapter | Teen Ink

Resident Evil: The Final Chapter

March 1, 2017
By Team_Underoos2k16 PLATINUM, Hyattsville, Maryland
Team_Underoos2k16 PLATINUM, Hyattsville, Maryland
39 articles 0 photos 2 comments

Favorite Quote:
"May the Force be with You" -Star Wars


There comes a point in time where you see a movie and then you begin to start asking questions as to why you love movies. This…this is one of those times.
 

Resident Evil: The Final Chapter is the supposed final chapter of the Resident Evil film franchise that has surprisingly grossed over $1 billion worldwide. This series has been the subject of hate from a lot of filmgoers and video game fans for not only being bad, but also not following the game’s lore. The Final Chapter does nothing to dampen those critics. In this film, the main character Alice (Milla Jovovich) has to stop Umbrella from infecting the rest of the world with the T-Virus. That’s it. There isn’t much of a plot in the film, so basically Alice has to do cool action things and save the world. It’s a simple plot which should be really cool and fun. Unfortunately, “premise” and “execution” is far from the same.

Where to start? Let’s start with what this series has been built on: action. The action scenes were obnoxiously loud and filled with so much stuff that it compromised the scene that it accompanied. For instance, there is an action scene in a place like a hospital, and there is a part where a giant monster thing attacks “poor” Alice. That one part, which lasted about 10-15 seconds, had almost 20 cuts. 20 jarring, unnecessary cuts jammed what equates to less than 1% of the film. It may sound mildly annoying, but nothing movie destroying. But imagine 20 cuts for every second of an action scene in dark lighting for about 20 minutes at a time, for an hour and 48 minutes in IMAX 3D. Yeah, have the migraine pills handy, because an enormous headache is coming. Also, the action is just boring. I was about 30 minutes into the film before I really felt the boredom wash over me. The action was so all loud and so many excessive explosions that it honestly grew stale quickly. And it’s because action films have started to become more than just action set pieces. They have consistently gotten better with great action films like Mad Max: Fury Road, Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol, and one of the greatest of all time: Terminator 2: Judgment Day. This film is nothing like any of those films, in fact The Final Chapter makes all these other films 100 times better by proxy. There has to be something more than just booms, booms and more booms.

Also, let’s talk about the acting chemistry between Milla Jovovich and the rest of the cast: it’s not there. She seemed like she slogged through this heap of a mess just to get her paycheck. Jovovich was never suited for this role, nor does her character even matter to the main Resident Evil universe. She was a character created just so she can have a role in her husband’s film. She always seems uninterested in every film she is in, and you can tell when she’s thrown onto a green screen. Any dialogue she is given is only flier and doesn’t try to go above the call of duty to try and capture audience interest. Besides her, no other characters matter. Sierra Guillory once again phones it in as Claire Redfield, a beloved character in the Resident Evil franchise. She tries to  be awesome and cool, but comes across as too hardened and unrelatable. Even the return of Shawn Roberts’ Wesker couldn’t save this mess, and the main villain – played by Ian Glen, who you might remember as Jorah Mormont from Game of Thrones – is very bland and cookie-cutter villain who at a point goes into that B-movie overacting and it’s just unsettling.

There is not much to like in Resident Evil: The Final Chapter. Besides Wesker – who is so hilariously bad it almost makes the movie watchable – the action is boring and lifeless, the acting is atrocious and the story moves along about as a snail and -worse of all - the ending of the film sets up a sequel, so Resident Evil: The Final Chapter isn't even the final chapter. Save your money. Put it towards Resident Evil 7. In terms of movies, the only thing Evil about this Resident Evil is the fact that they are taking people’s money and making millions.