The Revenant | Teen Ink

The Revenant

By xxfrazier33xx BRONZE, Circleville, Ohio
xxfrazier33xx BRONZE, Circleville, Ohio

Being one of the biggest movies of the year, “The Revenant” is a great one. In being one of Leonardo DiCaprio’s biggest films it is said to be the one to give him his first Oscar award.

This movie is about a man, Hugh Glass (DiCaprio), who is a frontiersman, and father in 1823. As you know this is the time that the settlers were coming to America and having “problems” with the Natives. One way the film shows how great of a man Glass is, is by showing his love for the Native Americans by him having a kid with a Native American and his love and passion for his kid, who is troubled by the fellow settlers because of his skin color and looks.

The movie, having an obvious theme of survival and the inextinguishable will to survive, also expresses a darker theme of racial inequality. Glass shows respect and admiration for the native people that his fellow frontiersmen do not. For instance, he shares food, warmth, fire, and a teepee with a Native when times are tough for both of them.

Overall the movie was great. For a two and a half hour movie, it goes pretty fast. It has great themes in it and also a lot of action. Out of five stars it would have to be four and a half or a full five. Well done DiCaprio.