Silent Hill: Revelation | Teen Ink

Silent Hill: Revelation MAG

By Team_Underoos2k16 PLATINUM, Hyattsville, Maryland
Team_Underoos2k16 PLATINUM, Hyattsville, Maryland

"May the Force be with You" -Star Wars

There are bad movies. Then, there are really bad movies. And then there is “Silent Hill: Revelation,” the 2012 horror film based on the game series by the same name. This movie isn’t just bad: it’s literally the worst movie of 2012 and one of the worst of all time.

“Silent Hill: Revelation” was directed by Michael J. Bassett and stars Adelaide Clemens as Heather Mason, a girl who moves with her father (Sean Bean) to a new town, hoping for a new life. However, her father is captured and taken to the “upside-down” world of Silent Hill. Now Heather, along with new friend Vincent (“Game of Thrones” star Kit Harrington), must journey to Silent Hill to rescue her father. Here’s what the movie’s actually about: nothing. I’m not sure I can adequately put into words how bad this movie is, but I can sure try.

First off, the acting is atrocious. Beyond terrible. With the actors who brought to life Jon Snow and Ned Stark, you would think there would be an inkling of effort, but nope. Neither tries on any level. Bean is so bland and lifeless, I swear he was actually dead during the movie. Malcolm McDowell is also in the movie, but it’s like he knows he’s going to get a paycheck by just being there.

Video game movies haven’t been great in recent years. As a gamer myself, I hate to see great properties such as Resident Evil and Super Mario Bros. get turned into terrible movies. “Silent Hill: Revelation” brings nothing new or exciting to the video game movie genre. Even the visuals are stale. This movie came out the same year as visually stunning movies like “Life of Pi” and “The Avengers,” which made these bad visuals more terrible by comparison.

To make matters worse, none of the dialogue is engaging, the scares are horrible, and the characters are just idiots. For example, there’s a scene with these faceless nurses that react to sound. They slash at you if you make noise, but if you don’t they stay still and do nothing. That lends itself to a very intense and scary scene, except the two idiot protagonists kept making noises. What could have been an amazing and frightening scene just collapsed in on itself.

“Silent Hill: Revelation” is everything that’s wrong with video game movies. The characters are horrible, the visuals are sub-par, the dialogue is atrocious, and the setups are never used to their potential. In short: the movie is really, really bad. If you’ve ever wondered why video game movies get such bad reviews, watch this. Otherwise, don’t bother.

I'm not sure if reviews on here are looked down upon if they're saying how bad a movie is, but this one...man, I had to share my pain with rest of you people.