Avengers: Age of Ultron | Teen Ink

Avengers: Age of Ultron MAG

May 13, 2015
By Adriana Cho BRONZE, La Canada, California
Adriana Cho BRONZE, La Canada, California
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Big blockbuster films often come with high expectations. Millions of fans were waiting to see if “Avengers: Age of Ultron” would be as amazing as the first Avengers movie, in which the team battled invading aliens in New York. With the introduction of new characters, character development and group dynamic play a greater role in this film than a physical threat does. The exciting action, humorous dialogue, and insightful look into each of the characters make this superhero film a must-see.

In “Age of Ultron,” the Avengers are now an organized team searching for the power source that caused the first invasion. Fans of the first movie will recognize Iron Man (Robert Downey Jr.), Captain America (Chris Evans), Thor (Chris Hemsworth), the Hulk (Mark Ruffalo), Black Widow (Scarlett Johansson), and Hawk Eye (Jeremy Renner).

Iron Man and Bruce Banner have been working on an artificial intelligence, Ultron, which comes to life and attempts to create “world peace” by destroying human life. The Avengers must fight against something they created, which adds to their questions about whether they are doing the right thing. One example of the consequences of trying to create peace through war is the super-twins. They became Quicksilver (Aaron Taylor-Johnson) and the Scarlet Witch (Elizabeth Olsen) when they volunteered for an experiment after a bomb made by Stark’s company killed their parents. However, after seeing the destructive nature of Ultron, they decide the Avengers are the lesser of the two evils and become part of the team. The addition of these members and the power of the Scarlet Witch to manipulate minds lead to cracks in the group’s unity and stability.

I had very high expectations for this film because I loved the first so much. “Ultron” met my expectations of quality, but it surprised me with its depth. For example, the powers of the Witch cause the Avengers to see their darkest fears play out in front of them. This reveals the weak man in the Iron Man suit, who is afraid of letting his team down, and also tells the back story of less developed characters like the Black Widow. Captain America is forced to accept that he is always looking for the next war. Bruce Banner is guilt-ridden because of his destructive alter ego, the Hulk.

Each of the mighty heroes are broken down so they become nothing more than normal people struggling to grasp who they are and what they want to live for. This scenario allows the most dismissed character from the first movie, Hawk Eye, to step up and show how important his role in the group is, even if he has the least power. He is able to be a source of stability and gives the Avengers time to figure themselves out. Bringing the Avengers down from their superior status and making them more human touches the audience in a way that is relatable for everyone.

During all this, however, they are asking themselves what needs to be done now. Do they use the technology to develop another form of artificial intelligence, knowing it could prevent future wars? This debate causes the group to split, creating tensions between them.

The mix of science fiction, mythology, and fantasy in this movie creates a fun and exciting story. Although there are serious scenes and intense drama, there is also a good balance of humor and optimism. This sequel has fewer heart-pumping, epic action scenes, but it has much more emotional tug and moral dilemmas that will leave the audience more aware of themselves and society.