Soul Surfer | Teen Ink

Soul Surfer

By Celia Bayer BRONZE, Oxford, New Jersey
Celia Bayer BRONZE, Oxford, New Jersey

Based on the inspiring true story of surfing champion Bethany Hamilton, who lost her arm to a shark attack when she was thirteen years old, “Soul Surfer” is strong faith-filled movie for the whole family. If you are looking for an inspirational movie with a powerful message, this is the perfect film for you!

AnnaSophia Robb plays Bethany Hamilton, and gives a good portrayal of Bethany’s courage and style. Bethany, who is a surfing champion, has been surfing ever since she was a little girl, but suddenly on Halloween morning everything changed in a heartbeat while she was surfing. While Bethany was in the water with her best friend Alana (Lorraine Nicholson) she is attacked by a 14-foot tiger shark and losses her arm. The attack seemed to shatter all her dreams, and she began questioning herself, “Why did this happen to me? Will I ever be able to surf again? Who am I if I can’t be a surfer?” By being supported by her friends and family Bethany refuses to give up surfing, so she keeps surfing even though it’s more difficult with one arm.

When Bethany travels to Thailand with her youth group leader Sara Hill (Carrie Underwood) several months after the tsunami of December 2004, Bethany discovers her greater purpose in life; she can make a difference in the lives of others.  After arriving home, Bethany is filled with a new sense of hope and direction. Now surfing, her biggest dreams, and her life have become about pushing her own limits to touch the souls of others.

The reason why I loved “Soul Surfer” so much because it inspired me to always look on the bright side of the bad things in life. I think Bethany’s story will inspire many others as well as me. I highly recommend this heartwarming, inspirational story to others.