Twilight | Teen Ink

Twilight

March 2, 2015
By Claudiaaaaaaa BRONZE, La Canada Flintridge, California
Claudiaaaaaaa BRONZE, La Canada Flintridge, California
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Twilight, the first in a four movie series, was released in November of 2008 and was directed by Catherine Hardwicke.  It was based off of a series of novels written by Stephenie Meyer.  It is based around a juvenile, teenage girl named Bella Swan (played by Kristen Stewart), who moves to Phoenix, Arizona and live with her father.  Upon moving here she has met many new people, including one strange, but very attractive, yet mysterious guy, named Edward Cullen (Robert Pattinson).  She becomes interested in him, because he is like no one she has ever met before.  She is drawn to Edward, as much as he tries to steer clear of her and as they get to know each other better, she starts to realize very strange things about him.  Further along in this movie, she finds out that he is a vampire.  However, he is a vampire who supposedly only drinks animal blood, not human.  This does not have her running in the other direction; on the other hand she is all the more interested in this dangerous creature and risks her life in hopes of being with him.   Edward, trying to keep Bella safe, tries to stay away from her still but finally gives into the temptation and they become a couple. 


Together they face dangerous events, including when they run into vampires who actually drink human blood.  They try to kill Bella seeing that’s how most vampires are.  However, this does not make Bella waver, or decide to stay away from vampires.  She is very naïve in thinking that Edward will keep her safe from everything and basically puts her life in Edward’s hands.  


This was a romance, drama, and science fiction movie, I had a hard time enjoying because I found they ideas in it hard to grasp.  Bella puts her life at risk and gets herself into terrible danger for a strange guy she hardly knew anything about.  This concept seems absurd to me.   She completely accepted the fact that he and his family were all vampires.  However, the overall movie was all right.  I liked the story line, other than her unquestioning acceptance of vampires.   I also enjoyed the feud that was going on between the vampires and the werewolves.   Also, the fact that this was based off a well written book, made this movie better.   However, some of the lead actors, I thought could have done a better job.  Some serious scenes actually had me laughing which is never a good thing.  Clearly the actors could not portray what they were trying to in this movie.   Also, this movie was pretty predictable, however, sometimes I still enjoy those cheesy romances, where the main characters end up happily in love with each other. 


This movie was probably geared toward an audience that ranges from twelve to sixteen, which probably adds to why I could not appreciate some of the scenes.   Also, I feel it was geared more towards a female audience, for many of my guy friends find it too cheesy and girly, but some guys can still appreciate it if this is the kind of movie they look for.  My younger cousin who is right around that age loved the movie, and themed her birthday party around it which indicates what kind of people it draws in.   If you are the type of person who loves paranormal romances, this movie would be a great one to add to your repertoire.   Also if you watch the first one and liked it I would recommend watching the whole series.  They are all decently done and are interesting because a different director worked on each one.  It has an interesting twist to a basic story line and was at least entertaining to watch. 


If you liked the TV shows, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, or the Vampire diaries, this movie is in the same category of movies and I would recommend that you watch it because it would probably be very enjoyable to you.   Also if your one of those people who is always searching for new movies to watch this is a decent one you can spend a day watching, and complete the whole series.   This movie can be found basically anywhere, because it was very popular, so you could rent it on Amazon or Itunes and watch it with all your friends.  To find out more information on this movie you can search it online and find some plot summaries that will give the jest of the movie.