Repo! The Genetic Opera | Teen Ink

Repo! The Genetic Opera MAG

October 16, 2014
By Taylor Nicole Godspeed BRONZE, Chicago, Illinois
Taylor Nicole Godspeed BRONZE, Chicago, Illinois
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Everyone should add “Repo! The Genetic Opera” to their list of movies to watch this Halloween. This 2008 rock opera was directed by Darren Lynn Bousman, and stars acclaimed actors Alexa PenaVega (who our generation will remember as Carmen Cortez in the “Spy Kids” franchise), Paris Hilton, Anthony Head, and Terrance Zudnich. A grave robber acts as the narrator for this futuristic dystopian tale. Prepare to laugh, cry, and be horrified as the story of the dysfunctional yet lovable characters unfolds in the form of a gory musical.

In a future where organ failures are rampant and society is bent on shallow beauty, a dark shadow follows anyone who pays for an organ transplant. Organs can be purchased at GeneCo, a family-run business. It may save your life, but bloody strings are attached. If a patient cannot keep up payments, GeneCo’s repo man (Anthony Head) is sent to retrieve the organ by slicing it out with a horrifyingly large scalpel.

The film follows 17-year-old Shiloh (Alexa PenaVega), the daughter of the repo man, as she struggles to find who she is in a world filled with greed, corruption, and murder. With her mother dead and her overprotective father locking her inside her home, Shiloh fights for her freedom. Her father deals with the threat of exposing himself as the repo man to his fragile daughter. Even worse, he is employed by a greedy man and his bratty adult offspring, who are vying for the company their wealthy father will leave behind. In addition to these stories, the tale of renowned singer Blind Mag (Sarah Brightman) is tied in to the death of Shiloh’s mother. All the while, an eerie band plays chillingly gorgeous music to illustrate the turmoil of the characters.

The Grave Robber (Terrance Zdunich) is one of the most intriguing characters. With no actual name, he is by far the most charismatic yet horrifying character. He robs graves to retrieve zydrate from the corpses, selling the glowing blue liquid on the black market as an addictive painkiller. In his interactions with Shiloh, he comes across as a flirtatious yet protective brother figure. The moral of the story is, whether you are morally just or corrupt, your genetics do not set your fate in stone. Shiloh does not have to follow in the footsteps of her father or the man he works for.

I highly recommend this movie to anyone who doesn’t mind blood, guts, and profanity. Any fan of “The Rocky Horror Picture Show” will find “Repo! The Genetic Opera” entertaining and freaky in an endearing sort of way. It has a perfect blend of heartless cynicism and comedy that straight horror films lack. It is a comedy, a tragedy, a Halloween flick, and a movie that can be watched any day of the year.

The author's comments:

This piece is about my all time favorite horror/comedy musical since Rocky Horror Picture Show.