The Emperor's Club | Teen Ink

The Emperor's Club MAG

Thereare no special effects or expensive staging, but "The Emperor's Club,"set in 1972, has one of the best plots to come to the big screen thisyear.

Kevin Kline does an excellent job as William Hundert, assistantheadmaster of the elite St. Benedict's School for Boys and a teacher of theClassics.

Emile Hirsch is Sedgewick Bell, the rebellious son of a U.S.senator, gives Hundert a hard time. When Hundert meets with Sedgewick's father,the senator persuades him to help his son because he believes he could be at thetop of his class.

This is a great movie where the students not only learnfrom the teacher, but the teacher learns from his students, especially Sedgewick.

In one compelling scene, Hundert walks by the boys playing baseball andis coaxed into showing them how to do it like the "old school." Hetakes the challenge and goes up to bat - and breaks the headmaster's window. Thestudents help him feel like a kid again.

The main event of the school yearis the Julius Caesar contest. Students take a number of essay tests that aregraded by Hundert. The top three then go on to a ceremony where they are askedquestions until they answer incorrectly. The winner is given the leaf crown andhis picture is hung on the wall with the previous winners.

Kevin Klinerecently starred in "Life as a House," and over the years has proved awellrounded actor. From comedic to dramatic, he can do it all, and shows it inthis film.