Hairspray | Teen Ink

Hairspray MAG

Although I am a fan of the original, edgy John Waters “Hairspray,” the 2007 film is an absolute joy. The story line follows zaftig teenager Tracy Turnblad (Nikki Blonsky) as she tries to fight segregation and use her dancing talent to land a spot on her favorite after-school TV program, “The Corny Collins Show.” Supporting roles include Zac Efron as Link Larkin, Tracy’s love interest, and, as much as I hate anyone who started their career on the Disney Channel, Efron really pulls his weight with his singing, dancing, and charm.

Also starring are Amanda Bynes and Elijah Kelly. Michelle Pfeiffer is a wonderful villain as a haughty, racist mother, and John Travolta shines in his refreshing role of Tracy’s shy, overweight mother, Edna.

Set in the early 1960s, “Hairspray” touches on segregation, a major issue at the time, while still maintaining an uplifting message: Anyone and everyone should be able to express themselves.

I felt utterly refreshed after watching this movie, and instantly bought the soundtrack. “Hairspray” is a film that will stick with you.