The Amazing Spider-Man | Teen Ink

The Amazing Spider-Man MAG

July 12, 2012
By Jeresur GOLD, Ashburn, Virginia
Jeresur GOLD, Ashburn, Virginia
13 articles 0 photos 4 comments

Favorite Quote:
Mein Führer! I can walk!~~Dr. Stranglelove: Or I How I Learned To Stop Worrying and Love The Bomb


“The Amazing Spider-Man” is a superhero movie starring Andrew Garfield as Peter Parker/Spider-Man and Emma Stone as Gwen Stacy, directed by Marc Webb. The film is Parker's origin story of how he got his powers, and how the disappearance of his father and the death of his uncle affected him.

Garfield masterfully portrays Parker and Spider-Man. As Peter he is a shy, outcast-type kid, but when he is Spider-Man he acts immortal. He takes advantage of the mask and with it he has no consequences. When his uncle (played by Martin Sheen) is shot, you can really feel the emotion he experiences. When he is mourning his loss, you buy it, and I'll admit I got chills during that scene. In the Sam Reimi Spider-Man films, Toby Maguire just did his terrible crying face and then it cut to the next scene. This film fleshes it out a lot more.

Emma Stone's character, Gwen Stacy, is great. She actually does stuff besides getting captured by the bad dude. The romance between them is amazing and completely ­believable.

The villain, Dr. Connors, is one of the few questions in the film. I had no clue why he was doing what he was doing. They should have expanded his character and included scenes of him with his family. Another aspect that could have been handled better was Peter's parents. They should have been more present

The editing also bothered me. Scenes passed too quickly and at times I couldn't keep up with what was happening. But the first-person viewpoints were great.

Despite my critiques, I definitely recommend this movie. Some people might say that a re-boot was unnecessary, but I disagree. After “Spider-Man 3,” we needed a redo. And this fantastic movie is a lot of fun.