The Doors | Teen Ink

The Doors MAG

By Anonymous

   In March, the doors finally opened on Oliver Stone's latest masterpiece, "The Doors," based on the story of one of rock's most talented, creative, and self-destructive casualties, Jim Morrison. Val Kilmer plays Morrison, and halfway through the movie the audience seemed overwhelmed as Kilmer accurately imitated the sporadic stage movements, maniacal trances, and philosophical/ drunken babblings characteristic of Morrison.

The film takes the viewer on a two-hour "trip" through the short, yet intense life of Morrison and the band he made famous. Stone goes as far back in Morrison's life as the pre-Doors days, and takes the audience through the creation and establishment of "The Doors," ending with Morrison's death in 1971. The movie presented the audience with views of Morrison's self-inflicted pain, his relationship with Pamela, his infatuation with death, his poetic genius, and his habitual substance abuse (which led to his death). If the storyline and central character alone are not enough, the classic music and brilliant photography will pique anyone's interest.

It is said that the best thing to help the popularity of "The Doors" was Morrison's death. As a talented and sexy performer, he was idolized on stage, but as a legend whose life was shrouded in mystery, he has been worshipped in death. Yet, after seeing this film, I believe that this could be the longest standing testimony to the music of "The Doors," and one of history's greatest artists. The movie expands on the facts and reality surrounding Morrison's life without destroying its mysterious and magical quality. The film is passionate, hypnotic, and intense, just as Morrison was,and just the way Morrison would have wanted it.