When the Moon Was Ours by Anna-Marie McLemore | Teen Ink

When the Moon Was Ours by Anna-Marie McLemore

By gabrielagolubov BRONZE, Monroe, Wisconsin
gabrielagolubov BRONZE, Monroe, Wisconsin

There are more people in the world born in the wrong body than you’d think. This story has a main character who was born a girl. Sam, or Samir, was born a Samira. Following his culture, he decided to dress as a boy until his mother no longer needed a man in the house. But, when the time came, Sam didn’t want to become Samira again. When Sam was five, the town knocked over the old water tower to make room for a new one. A girl, no younger than he, spilled out with the water. He was the one to calm her. They have been inseparable since. When he first spoke to her, she was screaming for the moon that had slipped from her fingers. From that day on, Sam swore he’d never let her lose the moon again. So, he began to paint moons on anything he could light up; glass, paper, and globes.

Meil spilled out of the water tower when it came down. The four sisters, the Bronner sisters, each with hair a different shade of autumn, were the ones who took her moon. It wasn’t until she was in the rumored local witch’s home, when the first signs of the roses poked through her wrist. She had lost her brother and mother to the water, and the water had taken her, preserved her. They were nearly eighteen now, and everyone knew the pair as Honey and Moon. The hem of Meil’s skirts were always damp, no matter how long the sun was on it, and Sam worked on the Bronner’s pumpkin farm to get out of gym. There were rumors about Meil and her roses, there always had been; the perfume of her roses could make any boy fall in love with her was just one.

The Bronner sisters were also rumored witches, for they could make anyone fall in love with them. But they’ve lost their power, and now they want Meil’s roses. This beautifully written novel tells a story like no other, making you fall in love and leaving you wanting more. Readers who would like subtitle transgender and lesbian representation will love this story. Anyone who loves mentions of witchcraft and a different form of art will fall in love with the way this novel is written and the characters in this novel.