Only Ever Yours by Louise O'Neill | Teen Ink

Only Ever Yours by Louise O'Neill

By TeaOnPluto PLATINUM, Dublin, Other
TeaOnPluto PLATINUM, Dublin, Other

Only Ever Yours is a futuristic sci-fi novel, written by Louise O’neill (also known for Asking For It). The novel is set in a dystopian future, in what is then known as the EuroZone, following a young girl called Freida. After almost all female babies were eradicated, the world set up a system in which perfect, flawless girls were genetically made to fulfill the needs of men. With no choice, the girls are educated to become the perfect woman, their only purpose being their beauty. After sixteen years of this training, the women are split into three categories to serve the male generations and the system. But when Freida reaches her final school year, she starts to question the system that has run so normally for years. As Freida begins to observe the wrongs of the EuroZone, she puts herself and her future at great risk, but is it worth it?

I greatly enjoyed this book as it mixed brilliant sci-fi with a futuristic plot, that chilled me as I learned what was really happening. The glamorous outlook of these perfect women covers up the dark reality of this future at first, until the rebellious Freida uncovers the morals behind this system. The book follows an interesting plot and I would recommend this to anyone who enjoyed The Handmaid’s Tale by Margaret Atwood. This novel is young adult fiction, and is recommended for readers aged 16 and over.