The Serpent's Shadow (Kane Chronicles, #3) by Rick Riordan | Teen Ink

The Serpent's Shadow (Kane Chronicles, #3) by Rick Riordan

December 28, 2017
By Teenage_Reads ELITE, Halifax, Nova Scotia
Teenage_Reads ELITE, Halifax, Nova Scotia
293 articles 0 photos 5 comments

Favorite Quote:
"So many books, so little time"


Sadie and Cater were given the impossible mission to stop Apophis, a snake they did not even believe in till last New Year’s when the duo defeated Set, the god of evil. So far things have been going their way but not in the way they want. Somehow the two of them managed to raise Ra, who turned out to still be in his old man form, Zia does not seem to love Cater, Walt (who is slowly dying) does not want to be with Sadie (though they both have feelings for each other), their father and mother are still dead, and their only parental figure, Amos, has left (along with Zia) to run the House of Life, in which no one wants him to oversee. Nothing our two heroes cannot handle, eh? With the Brooklyn house growing stronger each day Sadie and Carter must work together to defeat Apophis, save the ones they love, and finally put the rightful Pharaoh on his throne.

“If you’re listing to this, congratulations! You survived Doomsday”. Yes Doomsday is upon us, with our only hope of surviving lies in the hands of thirteen year old Sadie and fifteen year old Carter. But they are no ordinary teenagers, as they are the human host of Isis and Horus, becoming the first magicians to follow to path of the gods in eons. Together they run the 21st norm training kids to follow in the path of the gods as well, casting them as an outcast in the House of Life. With one of their own, Amos, leading the House of Life, who follows in the path of Set after Set chose him when he was released, it causes quite a disturbance in the community. Some see Amos as their new leader, knowing the age of fighting the gods were over, others, however, do not feel the same. Sarah Jacobi, leaders of the rebels, has the one goal to defeat Amos and take the throne herself. The plan day of attack? The same day Apophis plans to rise and swallow the sun. A coincidence? Maybe so, but probably not. With Amos busy defending the first Nome, Carter and Sadie send their kids to help, knowing they might be sending them to their deaths. Bast cannot directly go and help them find Apophis, so she’s doing the first Nome to battle Apophis (if he shows up) on the outside, buying them a little more time. “Protect my kittens? You don’t even need to ask”.  That leaves our heroes: Sadie, Carter, a half dead Walt, and fireball throwing Zia to defeat Apophis, restore the faith in gods, and save the world. Should be a fun time right?

Rick Riordan is known for his adventure stories, bring the gods to life, intermixing with kids who go on grand adventures, leaving you reading way past your bedtime. This series was no exception. Carter and Sadie brought you into their world by their recordings showing you the wonders of the Egyptian gods. They told us about their adventures, their enemies and friends they made along the way, as they try to bring Mata back into power and defeating chaos for the next while. So with all this going how could the last book of the series be anything but great? Well Riordan, sadly, killed it with romance. See he did okay with Percy’s story because when Percy found “the one” he was sixteen and not twelve like when the book started out. With Carter being fifteen his feelings for Zia, well they almost seem childish. He’s at that stage when love does not exist in his vocabulary so all he can say is “I really really really like you” then blush and walk away like any freshmen guy at any local high school. Still it was not that bad as Carter was so hopeless in deep like (but not love, because again, he is fifteen) of Zia does not try to pull any move in fear of her running off. Sadie on the other hand is a whole different story. She is thirteen, prime junior high (or middle school) and ready to unleash her middle school crush on the world. With that lucky fact, she had two! Yes Walt (her dying mortal) and Anubis (her god of death) both take a liking to her, and Sadie to them. But she is thirteen, if Carter does not know what love is, Sadie certainly does not, as she seems like the girl to post twenty pictures of “her and bae” daily on  her Facebook, writing giant paragraph of how much she loves him how he’s “her other half” and “my ride or die”. That we all eventually wait for the break up, and their twenty some post about depression and missing him, until they get a new boyfriend and repeat the cycle. “ “So have you decided?” Anubis asked him. “This is our last chance.” “Yes I can’t leave her.” Anubis nodded and squeezed his shoulder. “Neither can I” ”. Yes it is cute watching Sadie and Carter’s love life bloom, but Riordan forgot the age he made them, where this would be perfect if Carter was nineteen and Sadie seventeen, at fifteen and thirteen this was all too much.


The author's comments:

So much romance in the story, for kids who do not know what the word Love means