A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle | Teen Ink

A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle MAG

By k_kurys SILVER, Wyckoff, New Jersey
k_kurys SILVER, Wyckoff, New Jersey

It was a dark and stormy night in an old New England farmhouse when suddenly in the chaos of the storm a knock was heard on the back door.  The beginning of an incredible story full of twists, turns, lessons and fantasy, Madeleine L’Engle’s Newbery Award winning novel, A Wrinkle in Time, transports the reader to a different dimension.

The novel follows the journey of three young protagonists as they travel through space in a desperate attempt to solve the mystery of their father’s disappearance.  However, they soon find out that the problem runs much deeper.  Something much darker is at work than just the sudden removal of their missing father, and the three protagonists find themselves in a moral battle between good and evil.  Meg Murry, complete with fiery red hair and thick spectacles, her brother Charles Wallace, the quiet intellectual, and the charming Calvin O’Keefe, a new acquaintance that they met in the woods behind their house, are just a few of the lovable characters in this novel. Together they join three mysterious women in their quest to save the universe from the threat of an insurmountable evil.

A classic childhood tale, A Wrinkle in Time captures the imaginations of all ages and adds to the fondest memories of one’s childhood.  A unique order of heart-stopping events and an incredible string of plots make this book truly unforgettable.  After reading this book a myriad of times, I still laugh with each ironic event, read rapidly in each time of suspense, and smile everytime I close the book.  And while I’m not a touchy-feely type of person, I can never finish reading this book without a few tears. 

Innocence and simplicity ooze from each page, trapping even the most complex minds in a whirlwind of emotion while reading this novel.  L’Engle’s simple writing style allows the story to flow effortlessly, making it an enjoyable quick read for older crowds as well as appealing to the fast-paced minds of younger generations.  A story for the ages, no childhood is complete without reading this classic.

Such as in any novel, there are holes in the story; lack of descriptions and the sudden vanishing of would-be intricate plot lines.  And while this book is full of clichés about how love overcomes evil, it wouldn’t be the same “bed time story” book without them. Of course, the abandonment of plot lines and descriptions in any book is frustrating, however, these blemishes are insignificant in comparison to the grandeur of the novel.

Easily purchased online or in a bookstore, A Wrinkle in Time is guaranteed to bring delight to even the stormiest of evenings.  So while you are waiting out a rainy night indoors and you hear a light knock on your back door; are you going to answer?

i love this !

Regina_A21 BRONZE, North Vancouver, Columbia
I really enjoyed this book too, and your review. Thanks.

Brigid GOLD said...
on Nov. 7 2017 at 6:56 am
Brigid GOLD, White River Junction, Vermont

"We are all in the gutter but some of us are looking at the stars."
-Oscar Wilde

Loved this book so much!!!!