Potters Field by Mark Waid | Teen Ink

Potters Field by Mark Waid

May 29, 2017
By thewritebrother GOLD, Powell, Ohio
thewritebrother GOLD, Powell, Ohio
10 articles 0 photos 6 comments

Potter’s Field, a comic book mini-series named after a graveyard of the same name published by BOOM! studios and written by the legendary comic book writer Mark Waid, is a neo-noir tale about a mysterious man with the noir pre-golden age-like gimmicks of a butt-kicking appearance of gloves, mirrored sunglasses and a jacket and is under the alias of John Doe, with the unrealistically specific job of not just merely solving murders (even though he does occasionally beats up guilty party/parties), but focuses more on identifying dead bodies that are unrecognizable for one reason or another (and trust me, you do not understand how badly I feel for giving out that piece of information because this facet of the character was just introduced so well in the actual comic that I feel liked I just ruined the immersive aspect of it for the people who read this and then Potter’s Field later on, that’s how good the story telling is). So if you’re looking for a dark detective story that’s been left on the boiler for a longer time than you would’ve thought the writer would have intended yet is still able to maintain a 13+ rating, there’s this little book called Potter’s Field that I kinda sorta maybe DEFINITELY WITH 100% CERTAINTY told you about, and in case you haven’t noticed from my description of the protagonist, the book also has a “who is John Doe?” subplot-thing (for more observant, fan theory-generating readers) that one of you readers might find interesting (however personally, I’m quite happy with John Doe just being a otherwise nameless dude who sorta came out of nowhere). However, despite how awesome the book is, with its combination of good story and fitting art, there is a catch, the story’s size, because if it was a just a short a little one timer thing, then it would be satisfying because it would feel like it was just there to say quickly say: “hey, here’s an idea!!” while still satisfy anyone who’s actually looking for an actual narrative, and if the story blew up to be an entire saga, showing a clear year one for John Doe’s career while still remaining inconclusive enough so reader wouldn’t be able to find out his true identity or past life, a entire saga could also bring a satisfactory end to the whole thing, if not a ending that’s the perfect mixture of being satisfactory and unsatisfactory so it would stick in the brains of the readers, but seeing as sequels and prequels to stories are a problem that can pretty much be solved with the writer writing more sequels and prequels so I wouldn’t consider it too big of a problem. Besides, great experimentative comic book series, both mainstream and non-mainstream die (so-to-be R.I.P invincible) but at least they exist in the first place, so the misunderstanding of the story’s length is nothing to truly deter anyone (except for maybe comic book fans who are very hardcore when it comes to choosing what they read) from reading the book, because again, the book is a good read, so basically: go read it.


The author's comments:

this time, thepicture i'll choose for the article is the one that stays.