Trials of Apollo by Rick Riordan | Teen Ink

Trials of Apollo by Rick Riordan

By forgettingtohuman SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
forgettingtohuman SILVER, Brooklyn, New York

Trials of Apollo by Rick Riordan is a new entry of Rick’s greek mythology series. It was an exceptional book and I enjoyed reading it.Rick Riordan is one of my favourite authors. We open in a New York alley, which is pretty normal. But it’s not normal to Apollo, or should I say Lester Papadopoulos. After angering his father Zeus, yet again, the god Apollo is cast down from Olympus. Weak and disorientated, he lands in New York City as a regular teenage boy. We follow him through his journey in camp half blood as he tries to get to Olympus and earn back his father’s forgiveness. On the way he meets a companion, Meg, and together they fight through monsters in order to get to Camp Half Blood.

It was an amazing book and I enjoyed Rick Riordan’s writing and the way his details really throw you into the book and set the mood for the readers to relate. I also love how Rick really connects with his readers despite being a well aged man, his main characters are usually ranging between the ages of 12-17 and he connects with the characters, he doesn't write out what the characters would do. He puts himself in the traits of the character and thinks thoroughly for each action so the characters don't seem forced, they’re more fluent. This helps the book further relate to me because despite these teens being descendants of gods, they still have the same problems.

Contrary to my previous statements, as I read Trials of Apollo I expected a little bit more from it. But I feel that this piece was forced and not really focused. The plot felt rushed at certain parts and it didn’t give me the same feel that I had with previous books. Rick was distracted with another series that he started on norse mythology, Magnus Chase and The Sword Of Summer. He has a lot on him and I’d much rather him not write two series at the same time so he has time to put one series in the centre of attention.