The Garden of Words by Makoto Shinkai and Midori Motohashi | Teen Ink

The Garden of Words by Makoto Shinkai and Midori Motohashi

By A.Marcus DIAMOND, Landing, New Jersey
A.Marcus DIAMOND, Landing, New Jersey

"Whatever our souls are made of, his and mine are the same."
-Emily Bronte

"A shadow is the most loyal friend."
-Amanda Marcus

“Can a poems save your life?”  The synopsis for the manga proudly proclaiming itself as a work of the famous director Makoto Shinkai (along with Midori Motohashi) started off with that mysterious and thought provoking line, and it didn’t promise more than what the manga gave.  The Garden of Words, originally a 46 minute animated film directed by critically acclaimed genius Makoto Shinkai in 2013, was turned into a 193 page manga with the help of Midori Motohashi, and it was just as awe inspiring, thought provoking, and mysterious as the first line of its synopsis.

The Garden of Words follows the stories of the two main protagonists as they struggle through two very different, yet very similar, obstacles.  High school freshman, Takao Akizuki, struggles with an absentee mother and the dream of becoming a shoemaker, but money doesn’t grow on trees and acceptance is something he doubts that he’ll find if he tells anyone of his aspirations.  On rainy mornings he often skips first period in an attempt to keep his shoes dry, and it just so happens that it is one of these mornings when he meets our second protagonist, an older woman who is drinking beer and eating chocolate way before noon who has mysterious struggles of her own.  Before she leaves on that first day, she recites a poem of Man’yoshu poems, something that sticks with Takao and sets the foundation for what will become a relationship beyond those he has formed before.  The odd pair become closer, and even without knowing much about each other, not even each other’s names, they become fast friends.  But can that poem that the woman recited save both of them before they both fall apart?  They’re burdens may be greater than they may ever have anticipated.

The manga, although short, is wonderfully illustrated and well paced.  True to Makoto Shinkai’s style, it explores the trials and tribulations of adolescence while integrating mild, but not unrealistic, romance that can be understood by readers even if the reader has not experienced it in the same way.  The plot flows extremely easily with twists and emotional ties that keep readers glued to the pages.

I would highly recommend this manga to anyone, whether they are into graphic novels or not, or even if they avoid stories with romance because it lacks the overly rose colored lense that romance stories usually adopt.  I found both main characters relatable and their struggles realistic, while the side characters were skillfully woven into the story without making it seem that they disappeared or were meaningless.  A copy of this manga can be bought on Amazon, Barnes & Nobles, and Book Walker at reasonable prices, so please support the artist and author by buying a copy.  I would recommend this book to anyone and everyone, especially those looking for an emotion evoking story or those who might be interested in Makoto Shinkai.