Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier | Teen Ink

Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier

By ecasey18 BRONZE, River Forest , Illinois
ecasey18 BRONZE, River Forest , Illinois

“Last night I dreamt I went to Manderley again...”

The line that opens Daphne du Maurier’s book “Rebecca.” The mysterious love story begins in Monte Carlo in 1938 where a young woman who remains unnamed meets a wealthy man named Maxim de Winter. The unknown lead woman gives us her perspective as she shares many flashbacks about her poor life before and her luxurious life after she met Maxim. Her perspective is used so we can wonder about the mystery that carries through life along with her. From the flashbacks we learn that she is a companion for an American women named Mrs. Van Hopper. Soon after the young companion meets Mrs. de Winter they fall in love, marry and move to Mr. de Winter's massive house called Manderley but struggle with the lingering shadow of Maxim’s deceased wife, Rebecca. Daphne du Maurier based Mr. de Winter's magnificent home off a place she owned called Menabilly. Manderly is not only Mr. and Mrs. de Winter’s house but is also home to many servants and maids. One in particular is Mrs. Danvers, who is still extremely faithful to Rebecca. She continues to bring an almost sinister feel as she tries to keep Rebecca’s spirit alive in a home that is already being filled.

This is a novel that took a while to catch my attention but after I got through the beginning it kept me interested. There were times where I liked the book but also times that I didn’t even want to consider reading it. The part the made me keep reading was the overall mystery death of Rebecca. The curiosity of what truly happened to the loved and beautiful Mrs. Rebecca de Winter had me guessing until the end. Parts that I did enjoy was mainly the author's skill of writing because of its true beauty. Daphne Du Maurier managed to tell the story with a haunting yet almost magical language.  I recommend this book to teens and adult who are interested in gothic romance stories.