A stolen life by Jaycee Dugard | Teen Ink

A stolen life by Jaycee Dugard

By julia.haden BRONZE, Clarkston, Michigan
julia.haden BRONZE, Clarkston, Michigan

Jaycee’s life was anything but normal. She never thought, what seemed like, an average day would change her life forever……………
One day Jaycee was off to school when something strange happened and she woke up in the back of a van. A man named Phillip and his wife Nancy abducted her. Phillip forced her to do horrible things with him. She was there for 18 years. This Memoir tells you about what happened to her while she was there, how young she was and her lack of education. It tells you what it's like now for her to look back on and what she thinks know. Also how she's doing.
Reading this novel made me think about how lucky I am to get to live my life without someone controlling me. Also how unfair and disturbing people can be. I really enjoyed reading this book, it’s making me expand my reading genres. Sense I really liked reading this book it’s making me want to read more and try new types of books. It improved how I read because I used to read and not really pay attention I would be reading and thinking about other things, but this time I payed attention. Jaycee Dugard did a great job with the details and expressing her emotions. It really made reading it a lot more interesting and that’s what made me want to keep reading. But there were also some confusing parts in it that didn't really make sense, like sometimes when she would go from talking about one thing to another or when she went from then to what she thought now. The ending got kind of boring, I didn't really enjoy the ending. But this was a great reading experience.
Jaycee used many good descriptions about her experience. She told us how she really felt and used really good interior monologue. For example “Why does he want me to put on makeup? Why do I have to do any of this? It’s stupid and I hate it. I don't want to take off my clothes. I don't want to do any of it. I just want to go home!” She told us exactly what went through her mind and that helps understand how she feels and how confused she is. She is so innocent because she was taken at 11 and hasn't been able to experience new things. She doesn't really understand why he is doing this to her and she doesn't understand that he won't just let her go home. She also uses many time shifts in this story. She talks about what happened when she was taken, but also she reflects on what happened so you know how she feels now looking back on it. For example “To see myself in that moment is very hard now. I was there and all this crap happened, but as I look back I can't help but look forward. I live in the present just as I always have and when I look back on this I see a very scared little girl just trying to survive.” She is telling us how she feels now that she looks back on it. Its cool to hear her opinion now because she knows a lot more than she did then. The interior monologue and time shifts she added in helped the story sound better and more interesting.
I really enjoyed reading this book; I would rate it 4.5 stars. This book was interesting and made me keep reading. There were many great details in the book. It told a very well and descriptive story about what happened to her. She told you the truth. Yes there were many disturbing and awful parts in it but that's what happened and she did a good job telling it. I feel like this book would appeal mainly to teen girls or older girls. I don't think younger girls would understand it and they could get scared of it. Guys wouldn't like it as much either I feel because it had many truthful events and it was more serious. Some guys might find it interesting and want to read it, I just feel like teen and older girls would be the biggest audience. I would recommend reading it. Its interesting and you get to see how she dealt with the situation, while being so young.