Half a Chance by Cynthia Lord | Teen Ink

Half a Chance by Cynthia Lord

Half a Chance
Cynthia Lord
Scholastic Press
New York,USA
March, 2014

Half a Chance by Cynthia Lord is a book about looking at things from a different point of view. This was an awesome book that was very unpredictable. There was a bunch of twists and turns. Once I started reading, I couldn’t put it down!
12-year-old Lucy and her family moved to a worn down house on a New Hampshire lake. She met her neighbor Nate, who comes for the summer. Lucy became good friends with Nate and his family. Lucy went on loon patrol, hiked mountains, and more with the generous family. Shortly after they moved, Lucy discovered a photography contest that her dad was judging. She decided to secretly enter while her dad was on a business trip.  Lucy didn’t know what she was in for.  She had to choose between friendship and photography.
I enjoyed reading this book because I got to make a lot of connections. I learned that Lucy and I have quite a bit in common! We both like to take pictures and try new things. This book reminded me a lot of The School Story by Andrew Clements. In both books 12-year-olds try to secretly enter a contest that their parents are judging.
I recommend Half a Chance to anyone who likes a book that really gets to you. The book got me close to tears at some parts. This is a must-read and is an excellent book for all ages. I give this book a definite 10/10 canoes. You will not regret reading this emotional and adventure-packed book! See you at the lake!