Born Standing Up by Steve Martin | Teen Ink

Born Standing Up by Steve Martin MAG

By Ashley Zaletta BRONZE, Oxford, Connecticut
Ashley Zaletta BRONZE, Oxford, Connecticut

Comedy. Not many people realize, but it is an art, something you need to develop and work at if it is to be effective. Steve Martin is a brilliant example of one person who did this. In his autobiography, Born Standing Up, we follow him through his amazing life journey, from working at Disney World to working audiences.

You would never know from looking at his successful career in comedy that Steve Martin ever wanted to do anything else. But it turns out that as a young boy, he trained to be a magician. While working at a magic shop he got his first taste of comedy and a career goal hit him: comedian!

This book follows Martin as he describes, in an amazing way, his beginnings. From skits at small venues, to traveling with friends, to his experiences during the hippie era, Martin tells of his successes and failures. He recounts his experience writing for a comedy show, the times he bombed, his early unforgiving audiences, and when he finally perfected his odd routines and the audiences loved it.

This book affected me in a surprising way. I had expected nonstop laughter. But while it has its funny parts, for sure, Born Standing Up is more about the captivating journey of Steve Martin’s life. We think of Martin as that funny, banjo-playing comedian without a thought of his struggles to gain recognition. It made me appreciate not only Steve Martin more, but also what all aspiring comedians experience.

In short, Born Standing Up is an amazing book. This autobiography of Steve Martin’s life is emotional, captivating, funny, and inspiring.

on Jul. 24 2009 at 12:23 am
yourworstnightmare BRONZE, Sioux Falls, South Dakota

The best prize that life offers is the chance to work hard at work worth doing. (Teddy Roosevelt)

this sounds like a good book. this is an interesting person's life to follow and get to know. you really did a great job of writing the review.

Samantha Violette BRONZE, Whitinsville, Massachusetts
That sounds like a good book. You got me interested in it.

hummer64 said...
I thought that it was a wonderful article.