Gentlemen of the Road by Michael Chabon | Teen Ink

Gentlemen of the Road by Michael Chabon MAG

February 4, 2009
By Patrick Schneider BRONZE, Homer, Alaska
Patrick Schneider BRONZE, Homer, Alaska
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Michael Chabon has earned his place in my mind as one of the greatest writers alive. The Christian Science Monitor called him, “Simply the coolest writer in America,” and I strongly agree.

Several years ago I read Summerland, his young adult novel, which in terms of writing and storytelling blew away anything I had read. It instantly became my favorite book and has remained in that lofty position for many years.

Gentlemen of the Road, Chabon’s most recent work, is a shorter but no less complex read. It is the story of Amram, an African ex-soldier, and Zelikman, a moody and introverted physician. It takes place in Khazaria, which bordered the Black and Caspian Seas, around 950 A.D., in the days of the Frankish Kingdom and the Byzantine Empire.

A masterpiece of historical fiction, Gentlemen of the Road is a tale of these men’s encounter and ensuing relationship with Filaq, the young and haughty self-proclaimed rightful prince of Khazaria, who has been denied the throne.

Chabon’s writing resembles Patrick Fitzgerald and other more wordy authors. The first chapter was a bit hard to read, but I got used to his style as the story progressed. By the end, I was having no problem with the writing style; it even appealed to me.

I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys a good story, but won’t get frustrated with a complicated vocabulary and unknown geography.