Born to Run by Christopher McDougall | Teen Ink

Born to Run by Christopher McDougall

By saacboymomma BRONZE, Littleton, Colorado
saacboymomma BRONZE, Littleton, Colorado

In Born to Run, the reader follows journalist Christopher McDougall’s learnings of the lost life of running. According to McDougall, running is the lost secret to happiness, well being, and longevity. He proposes that long distance running while barefoot is how a select group of runners have been able to run completely injury-free. The modern, expensive running shoe with gel sole and cushion is the leading cause of runner’s injuries, which he proves with a whole chapter of research. Humans are built to run this way, the greatest example being the Tarahumara. These isolated people live a simple life in the Copper Canyons on a scarce diet, running the marathon-lengths daily. As a result, they are rarely injured, and grow in health past their. McDougall writes his journeys through the canyons as if he is an Indiana Jones in search of a lost treasure, the Tarahumara. The book is paced quickly, sometimes deviating to portray legendary runners, doctors, and even more legendary races. All these mini stories relate back to the main point. McDougall switches between these elements exactly when necessary, without cutting any chapter short. This made it easy to tolerate both the descriptive nature of his writing, and the quick change of topic. He can embellish situations that he did not experience,  which could lead to questioning of the wholesomeness of the story. The main message McDougall is trying to convey remains, though. It is a story of a great adventure, a legendary race, and perhaps the secret to a healthy life. Running is the most common sport throughout the nations, cultures. As the title and McDougall suggest, we are born to run.