Homeless Bird by Gloria Whelan | Teen Ink

Homeless Bird by Gloria Whelan

March 25, 2015
Pariyakorn Chuasiriphattana BRONZE, Bangkok, Other
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Don’t Lose Hope

“Don’t lose hope. You never know what tomorrow will bring.” “Homeless Bird” was a book set in India written by Gloria Whelan. It won a National Book Award which means that this book is very good and it must have a huge reputation. This book is a story about a girl named Koly who understands world much better after an incidence has happened to her, learns not to trust others easily and there is no way that she would let this incidence retrace on her daughter’s life. I enjoyed reading this book very much.

Koly is a thirteen years old Indian girl who is forced to leave her house and family forever to marry someone who she has never met before. After the wedding ceremony ends, Koly figures out that Hari is very sick and his sickness is extremely hard to cure. Hari’s family members are all good to Koly except his Sass, which is an Indian word means mother, who always scolds her. Sass likes to let Koly do things for her but instead of saying thank you, she insists of scolding her. So what is going to happen to Koly and Hari? Is Sass going to continue scolding her unreasonably? You will have to read the story to find out!

First, I actually liked how Gloria Whelan includes a lot of Indian traditions and culture in “homeless bird” since she told me many facts about Indian. I think this book is a great book with lots of detailed and interesting facts that you might knew it just right after reading this book! She created different personalities for each characters. She used numerous of similes, metaphors and personification which made this book much more remarkable.

Second, I enjoyed this book because there is a lesson I learned about friends after reading this book. “Friendship isn’t about who you’ve known the longest. It’s about who came and never left.” This is an important lesson because it can be applied not to only about meeting new people, trusting people or support each other but also about understanding them; knowing their real personalities without leaving them. Koly met many new friends when she lived in Vrindavan even though she lived there for just a while but she could really find who to love and who loved her. This is what true friends are! I agree with the lesson I’ve learned and I truly think that true friends are not the friends you known the longest but it’s the friends that understand, support and stay beside you most.

Third, I liked this book because the protagonist is very brave. In the beginning of the story, Koly was set in an arranged marriage which she wouldn’t know whom she was going to marry. Her husband was very ill and she was welcomed into a family which her husband’s mother didn’t even care about her feelings. I felt so annoyed for her and if I were Koly I would escaped the house and went to find a job so I could have some money for myself to survive. Koly was brave without thinking suicide or any bad decisions. She continued her life even though it was the point of her life where she has nobody to love and nobody truly loves her.

Finally, I enjoyed reading this book because the story reminds me of my friend’s own experience. There was a lesson that teaches me and it was kind of similar to my friend’s experience “Good friends can disagree without hurting each others heart.” She used to be with a group of friends whom were her best friends since young. They were always with each other. But then just from a small incidence they started to argue until it became a huge incidence which made my friend left the group. She said that it was uncomfortable for her to their face so she left the group. She stayed with another group of friends and yes! Things went a lot better since they helped her with the works she’ve got and understood her more. This is my friend’s own experience which connects to what Koly meets when she was struggling in the town where she hasn’t been there before, she didn’t know who was sincere to her. At last, things turned out perfectly since she could truly finds her true friends and her true love!

If you like to know about an old Indian traditions and culture, go grab a copy of this book now! I rate this book with five stars. Do you want to know why I rate this book which such a high score? Then let’s go and buy it now!