Princess Academy by Shannon Hale | Teen Ink

Princess Academy by Shannon Hale

By wind_andthe_rainy PLATINUM, San Francisco, California
wind_andthe_rainy PLATINUM, San Francisco, California

I am passionate about characters. I love being able to dive into the inner world of another person. Ever since I was little, I would dive into a book with such gusto no one would even try to bother me. With some books, it would be hard to resurface and rejoin the ‘real world.’ The characters in books were so real to me; I never wanted to put the book away and say goodbye.
One book that was particularly difficult to end was Princess Academy by Shannon Hale. In it, a young girl named Mira is taken from her family, along with all other “eligible” girls from her village, and forced to be trained as a potential bride for the young prince. At first, the girls are apprehensive about leaving their town. The officials from the royal court are harsh, and the what-is-happening-to-me-and-why-can’t-I-stop-it reflex takes over. As the book progresses however, Mira becomes immersed in learning about her country, uses her new knowledge to save the academy from bandits, and can’t wait to return to her town and share the most important gift: empowerment. The book explores the themes of education, family, and friendship—all values of mine as well.
In fact, books like this are part of the reason I think and act the way I do. Books teach us about the world; about each other; about ourselves—they teach us how to be. Characters like Mira have shaped the person I am today. They inform my values and actions. Through books, I feel as though I always have a friend and someplace to turn to for advice. Now if only these characters were real…