Spunky by Dori Brink | Teen Ink

Spunky by Dori Brink MAG

May 5, 2014
By brandiezucker BRONZE, Bedford, New York
brandiezucker BRONZE, Bedford, New York
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
Its difficult to be someone else when you see yourself in the mirror everyday


Spunky, written by my great-aunt Dori Brink, explores the wonders of a developing love between three dogs: Spunky, Happy, Dodger, and their adults: Daphne, and Peter. My great-aunt was a one-of-a-kind, affectionate person, and you can tell that from this book. She continues to inspire me to write creative pieces, just as she did. Whether, you’re looking to chuckle, to cry, to wonder, or just to read a great book, Spunky is the one for you.

The story begins when a couple, Daphne (based on Dori) and Peter (and her husband, Paul), have their lives disrupted by a stray dog who begins following Peter around as he works. After a few weeks, they adopt her and name her Spunky. The mesmerizing ways their lives change after adopting Spunky is what makes this book so heartwarming.

Later, Daphne and Peter decide to add a watchdog named Dodger to the family. Spunky and Dodger’s relationship grows, and the narrative shows how smart they are as they play with each other or communicate with their owners. They are inseparable. Then one day, Peter comes home with a small black dog named Happy. The three dogs have lots of adventures, whether climbing mountains or trying to catch birds. Many of these events are based on true stories.

While all seems good, dreadful events happen that will bring you to tears. I felt so many emotions, from joy to devastation, and from humor to awe.

You can tell that this couple’s love and passion for these dogs is something special. Spunky is a book like no other. It has thrilling moments humans might experience, but these happen between the dogs, with Spunky as narrator.

Spunky makes you feel like you are in Spunky’s situation, feeling like dirt at one moment, and a hero at another. The truthfulness of this book is why it is one of my favorites and might become one of yours. I believe Spunky is an inspirational work that should be cherished and read by all.

The author's comments:

This book is very special to me because it was written by my great aunt, who inspires me to write creative novels just like she did.