Out of My Mind by Sharon M. Draper | Teen Ink

Out of My Mind by Sharon M. Draper MAG

By Isibeal19 PLATINUM, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Isibeal19 PLATINUM, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

*Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning how to dance in the rain.*

Imagine a world where you can't speak; you can only yell and scream. Picture not being able to control how you move; you manage with sharp, jerky movements. You are the smartest girl in your school, but nobody knows it.

This is how 11-year-old Melody, the main character of Sharon Draper's Out of My Mind, gets by in life. She was born with cerebral palsy, a disease that not only handicaps her, but also robs her of friends and a normal life.

Everyone in the world, with the exception of her neighbor, believes Melody is both physically and mentally handicapped. She is sent to “special” classes and is not thought of as a real human being by other children in the school.

This all changes when Melody is allowed to take part in the written history bee and succeeds in making the school's team. From there, Melody embarks on her wildest adventure: fitting in.

This book is a heart-warming, suspenseful tale of how you shouldn't make assumptions based on looks. I would recommend it to all; it will open your eyes to a new world of hardships and triumphs. I hope you enjoy Melody's story as much as I did.

Thanks so much

catwithglasses SILVER, Sewickley, Pennsylvania

"I'm selfish, impatient, and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you don't deserve me at my best."
-Marilyn Monroe

Fantastic! I love this! Congrats on making the magazine

Thank you so much! This book was also among my favorites:)

mrsperegrine GOLD, Stratham, New Hampshire
I read this book and **loved** it!The characterization of Melody was so well done. She is one of my favorite literary characters! Great review.