The Iron King by Julie Kagawa | Teen Ink

The Iron King by Julie Kagawa

By Harebelle GOLD, Vancouver, Other
Harebelle GOLD, Vancouver, Other

Megan Chase lives a relatively normal life. Her father did mysteriously disappear into a pond one day, and she does sometimes see strange creatures, but really her greatest concern is how to get the football star, Scott, to notice her. This normality is shattered when she discovers her brother has been swapped for a faerie, and he is deep in the Nevernever. She plunges in to save him, with the help of her mischievous best friend, a gray cat, and an icy and undeniably gorgeous prince who wants to kill her. Soon she realizes that something terrible is taking over the Nevernever, and that if she wants her brother back, she must stop it.

This book is, to be frank, a typical faerie romance. The faerie types and the courts are exactly the same as any other faerie book, except with the addition of the Iron Fey. The beginning especially is very typical, with the hinting of faeries in everyday life. Towards the middle it picks up, but it's only in the last third or so that it gets really exciting. The events are interesting enough, but it feels like most them are there to build up to future books. The characters are mostly flat and the romance only occasionally shiver-inducing. The main character, Meghan, in honestly quite annoying because she is so helpless. In dangerous situations, she waits for the boys to come rescue her. Her talents are limited to dancing, charming ice princes, and stopping the boys from killing each other. For people who love reading about the faerie world, I would recommend this, but for those who aren't, this is one of those seen-it-before type books.

Tenzin C. said...
on Oct. 2 2014 at 9:47 pm
If you love romanse and adventure then this is the book for you. Meghan just turned 16 but it's about to be more different than she expected. Meghan must save her kidnapped brother from the fae. While she goes in the fae world she meets interesting characters. She meets her real father and she has to try to conquer an evil that is killing the never never. She meets prince Ash. As she continues the journey she thingks she is falling for Ash. But does Ash feel the same way? I would give this book 5 stars because it was amazing. I just couldn't stop reading this book is a page turner. Make sure to read to see the very interesting creatures she finds in the world.

Tenzin C. said...
on Oct. 2 2014 at 9:39 pm
I absolutely love Iron King by Julie Kagawa. This is a book to read if you love romance and adventure. If you love books that don't always have a happily ever after. Meghan Chase just turned 16 but her life will change. She goes into the fae world to save her brother Ethan. She finds herself in a whole different dimension when she finds out that Ethan was kidnapped by fae and know she is going into the fae world to save him. Along the way she meets the mysterious prince ash son of the winter fey. Does meghan fall in love? Will Ash give up everything to be with her?       This is truly one of my favorite because of the suspense and drama. I was suprised to know that Puck was a fae. One of the best books I have ever read and trust me, I have read a lot of books and the Iron King is one of my favorite. I would give it a  5 stars. I love the suspense in which she will choose her own life or her brother's. Meghan faces some very uunlikely characters in the book. Read the whole book to find out who she meets.  

on Sep. 2 2014 at 9:56 pm
Exactly!!That's what i wanna know too!!

BookLover said...
on Dec. 13 2013 at 2:25 pm
I have a question... What is the terrible thing that is taking over Nevernever?