The Iron King by Julie Kagawa | Teen Ink

The Iron King by Julie Kagawa

October 23, 2011
By Harebelle GOLD, Vancouver, Other
Harebelle GOLD, Vancouver, Other
14 articles 1 photo 118 comments

Megan Chase lives a relatively normal life. Her father did mysteriously disappear into a pond one day, and she does sometimes see strange creatures, but really her greatest concern is how to get the football star, Scott, to notice her. This normality is shattered when she discovers her brother has been swapped for a faerie, and he is deep in the Nevernever. She plunges in to save him, with the help of her mischievous best friend, a gray cat, and an icy and undeniably gorgeous prince who wants to kill her. Soon she realizes that something terrible is taking over the Nevernever, and that if she wants her brother back, she must stop it.

This book is, to be frank, a typical faerie romance. The faerie types and the courts are exactly the same as any other faerie book, except with the addition of the Iron Fey. The beginning especially is very typical, with the hinting of faeries in everyday life. Towards the middle it picks up, but it's only in the last third or so that it gets really exciting. The events are interesting enough, but it feels like most them are there to build up to future books. The characters are mostly flat and the romance only occasionally shiver-inducing. The main character, Meghan, in honestly quite annoying because she is so helpless. In dangerous situations, she waits for the boys to come rescue her. Her talents are limited to dancing, charming ice princes, and stopping the boys from killing each other. For people who love reading about the faerie world, I would recommend this, but for those who aren't, this is one of those seen-it-before type books.