Happyface by Stephen Edmond | Teen Ink

Happyface by Stephen Edmond MAG

July 10, 2011
By ShannonJr GOLD, Newton, North Carolina
ShannonJr GOLD, Newton, North Carolina
10 articles 0 photos 4 comments

Favorite Quote:
“He has never been known to use a word that might send a reader to the dictionary.”
William Faulkner (about Ernest Hemingway)

“Does he really think big emotions come from big words?”
Ernest Hemingway (about William Faulkner)


As if taken from the mind of a real, tormented teen, Happyface tells the story of an unnamed teenager's way to cope through writing and drawing in a sketchbook given to him by his father.

Happyface's life is hit hard when an unnamed tragedy strikes his family. Then his ­parents' divorce leads him to move with his mother and start over in a new school, where he eventually makes friends who give him the name Happyface.

Just when Happyface's life seems good, people from his past begin to show up and stir up painful memories that he has to decide whether to face.

The novel itself is like a teen-angst version of the Diary of a Wimpy Kid books: They both use text and illustrations to outline the main character's problems, although Happyface has more tragic and dramatic issues than Greg Hefley.

Happyface is a moving novel that is both sad and funny. It will definitely capture your attention with its humorous narrative and creative illustrations and images.


The author's comments:
I read this book, and just had to review it.