Song of the Sparrow by Lisa Ann Sandell | Teen Ink

Song of the Sparrow by Lisa Ann Sandell

By Trilobite BRONZE, Lower Burrell, Pennsylvania
Trilobite BRONZE, Lower Burrell, Pennsylvania

"Genius is 1% imagination and 99% perspiration."~Thomas Edison
"Anyone who has a child today should train him to be either a physicist or a ballet dancer. Then he'll escape."~W. H. Auden

I’m not going to start this review like any ordinary critique. To do so would turn the review into an analytical dissection of something so simple and beautiful. I intend to give Song of the Sparrow by Lisa Ann Sandell its due attention. Whenever I find a book comparable to The Boy in the Striped Pajamas by John Boyne, I revere it as a true masterpiece.

The story takes place during the Middle Ages, but do not be scared away if historical fiction is not your preference. The plot is about the Arthurian character The Lady of Shalott, a timeless tale of classic themes such as loyalty, faith, and love. Elaine of Ascolot, the main character, tells her experience in a war through vivid poetry and beautiful syntax.

In the conclusion of Song of the Sparrow, I wanted to read much more than what was provided. Lisa leaves the perfect amount of thirst for the reader, anticipating more than what is given. As I’ve learned from any animator’s role model, a sequel would ruin the charm that is a masterpiece. Japanese anime master Hayao Miyazaki, “Japan’s Walt Disney,”once said that he would not make sequels to any of his movies, saying that any attempt would end up with a dry plot and disappointed fans. Will Song of the Sparrow be held to the same regards as Miyazaki’s films? Only time will tell.

As a chosen book reviewer for my school newspaper, I thought that this would be a great book for my peers to read. It's a breath of fresh air from the usual vampire and werewolf stories, and the romance is presented in a uniquely different view.

Love.Hate.Passion., Spring Valley, Illinois

~Hope. Faith. Love~
~Be proud of who you are.You are all unique in a different way.~
~I WILL NOT fade into oblivion , and become less than
a distant memory.~

Another great review!

I liked your book critique very much , because you were so eloquent with your words , and you gave such a good mix of opinion and book fact , whilst managing to keep the plot under wraps. Keep it up!

on Aug. 10 2011 at 12:52 am
lunalovegood32, Silver Spring, Maryland

never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world, indeed it is the only thing that ever has- margaret mead

really loved this book. read in about 5 hours i couldnt stop. this review sums it up perfectly and makes me want to read it again

julian GOLD said...
julian GOLD, Eugene, Oregon

The goal is not about living forever, the goal is about creating something that can.

I like how you reviewed this book in a uniquely and original way. It flowed wonderfully, and it leaves me wanting more! Good job! 5-stars!

StaceyA BRONZE said...
on Jul. 12 2011 at 10:27 am
StaceyA BRONZE, Tottenham, Other

"And by the way, everything in life is writable about if you have the outgoing guts to do it, and the imagination to improvise. The worst enemy to creativity is self-doubt."
— Sylvia Plath

You have a great eye for the fine details that bring a narrative to life. I liked the line, "Elaine Ascott, the main character, tells her experience through vivid poetry and beautiful syntax." Once again, a little bit more summarizing of the plot would help flesh this out. But again, the last line of your review is perfect. Keep up the good work!

ninapaniena PLATINUM, Sammamish, Washington

To be a good surgeon you have to think like a surgeon, emotions are messy, tuck them neatly away and step into a clean sterile room, where the procedure is simple, cut suture, and close. But sometimes your faced with a cut that won't heal, a cut that rips the stitches right open

I am going to go get this book now! You have an amazing talent of explaining the soul of a book

I'm glad you found this review helpful!

creativewritingismything SILVER, Brookshire, Texas

"Creativity is a masterpiece in itself. The ability to manifest that masterpiece, and to recognize its worth, can be found in each of us, if only we would take the time to find our inspiration."
~Samantha Stewart (ME! :D)~

Because of this review i HAVE to go out and buy this book now!

on Jul. 11 2011 at 11:27 am

Thanks!  I will be sure to add summaries to future reviews.

CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." --Douglas Adams

"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." --Marcus Aurelius

This review is much better than the other one.  You gave plenty of your opinion, but again, you didn't really summarize the plot.

No problem, and I'm glad that you are going to read this!  It's a great book, you won't regret it. :D

Garnet77 PLATINUM, Sinagpore, Other

"Everything's a triangle." ~ My mother

"Write what you love, write what you care about, because sometimes, it's the easiest way to be heard."

I love historical fiction!!! I really really want to read this now. I didn't even know it existed. Thanks for a great review! :)