The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold | Teen Ink

The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold MAG

By Bapalapa2 ELITE, Brooklyn, New York
Bapalapa2 ELITE, Brooklyn, New York

The Lovely Bones is a compelling read entwined with honest and heartfelt accounts of life, loss, love, and letting go. Since 2002 the fresh, thrilling words of Alice Sebold have touched the hearts and souls of millions who have found clarity in her one-of-a-kind novel.

Sebold's first book is based on the brutal rape, murder, and fascinating journey of an insightful adolescent. Susie Salmon is adjusting to her new life in heaven, which is quite an endeavor in itself. Meanwhile her family is torn between the painful memories of the past and the difficult journey of their future without her.

Susie narrates the story from heaven, which adds depth to this fascinating best-seller as she draws readers in with her deep, compelling thoughts and desires. Readers develop a bond with this girl as they feel what she feels and watch as she watches those left on earth, caught in the whirlwind of grief surrounding her loss.

This novel is full of interesting and thought-provoking characters. The story revolves around a grief-stricken father, who's trying hard to love his two remaining children without forgetting his lost little girl, and a mother who is not so sure she ever intended to be a mother. And of course, readers encounter the unforgettably disturbing and raw Mr. Harvey, Susie's murderer.

Readers will also be impressed with the author's creative depiction of heaven and the seamless flow between the happenings there and on Earth. Mesmerizing and interesting, this book makes one feel as though she is sitting right there beside Susie in her beloved gazebo. The suburban Pennsylvania neighborhood where Susie lived is important to the setting as well. The novel is about all that is horrible and unknown that lurks beyond the perfect picket fence and closed front door: “Murder had a blood red door on the other side of which was everything unimaginable to everyone.”

This novel is most appropriate for mature young adults and those who have been (or have yet to be) exposed to heart-wrenching and life-changing loss. It is a tale of the truth and trials of family love. It is about dealing with death, and the important lessons we have to learn about life.

Readers will be blown away, likely unable to pry their eyes off the page as the vivid and compelling changes of Sebold's characters and intense plot unfold. The importance of letting go, moving on, and seeing love will touch the hearts of all who take a peek at this world through the eyes of Susie Salmon.

Yazzi said...
on May. 4 2012 at 11:48 am
Yazzi, Houston, Texas

I love my Life & the ones in it I love my boyfriend & my friends im a really cool person to be around with im crazy & outgoing

I ♥ This book & + I love The movie

Its really nice & Sad!

on Mar. 24 2011 at 12:43 pm
Estefany123 BRONZE, Sterling, Virginia
I haven't read the book i just watched the movie. At the beginning i didn't like it but at the end i did.  Love it!  <3    :)

on Sep. 22 2010 at 4:43 pm
Sacrifice018 SILVER, Griffin, Georgia
OMG!!!!!!!!! Me and one of my besties read this book together and it was amazing! After every page my friend and I wanted to read it more and more. The movie was good but, not as amazing. It didn't include everything in the book though. The movie scared me and made me really think about rapists and stalkers and stuff like that. I really did become more aware of things like that. Also the  movie was really good and I loved how that... died!! He totally deserved that..!! I defiently recomend this book to every teenage girl in the world!!

S.S.Y. GOLD said...
on Jun. 12 2010 at 10:24 am
S.S.Y. GOLD, Toronto, Other

"After all, tomorrow is another day" -- Scarlett O'Hara

"It is the east, and Juliet is the sun!" -- Romeo

"I am a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it." -- Stephen Leacock

Amazing review. When the movie came out, I was intrigued and wanted to see it. I didn't get the chance though. After reading your review, I want to read it even more.

theartist320 said...
on Jan. 12 2010 at 9:31 pm
theartist320, Sanford, Florida
amazing book. probably one of my new favorites. I ended up crying through most of the book. Read it. It won't disappoint.

on Nov. 10 2009 at 12:55 pm
I read this book and i was crying within the first chapter. Its really graphic, but over all its a great book.

heygirlhey11 said...
on Aug. 30 2009 at 8:02 pm
My sister has read the book but I have never read it before so I think once i finish the book I am reading now i will read it. It sounds really good.

P-Tone said...
on Aug. 30 2009 at 5:52 am
I read this book last year. I found it in my school library and thought,"Why not, I'll try it out!" To say the least I was extremely disappointed. Ms. Seabold's writing style was obnoxious and dumbed down. Ms. Seabold also failed in creating a believable story in the real world, so her thoughts and image of heaven came off as a joke! I would never recommend this book.

on Feb. 20 2009 at 9:05 pm
kittyfu93 BRONZE, Bedford, Virginia
I have read the book, so I know it's amazing (and very emotional) You did an excellent job describing it with a short summary and it was not at all boring or stiff. I think this will make more people want to read the book. :)

LainaEds91 said...
on Nov. 14 2008 at 8:24 pm
My friends have read that book and told me it was good, but I never knew what it was about. I'm going to have to read it now, it sounds interesting Thanks!

on Sep. 9 2008 at 6:01 pm
i've read this book. its become one of my favorites of all time. i love the way alice sebold writes. its full of imagery. i think everyone should read this book.