Hogan | Teen Ink

Hogan MAG

By Anonymous

   I have two great interests - reading and golf. In Hoganby Curt Sampson, my two passions meet. This is the most interesting andinformative biography I've ever read.

Sampson tells the story of a youngcaddie who, through hard work, becomes the world's best golfer. He describes BenHogan's long hours on the practice range and cold attitude toward themedia.

The early chapters explore Hogan's childhood. Born in Stephenville,Texas in 1912, Hogan was like any other boy until, at age ten, he witnessed hisfather's suicide. Ben had no way to express his grief and loneliness; all hecould do was work. He started as a caddie and learned the game of golf. He wouldlater be known as the hardest worker golf has ever seen. Hogan turned pro at age17, but it took him several years to be successful on the PGA tour. Many times hehad to go home because he ran out of money. Finally, in 1938, Ben Hogan won hisfirst golf tournament as a professional.

Sampson writes extensively ofHogan's perfectionism. For example, he would spend days with MacGregor's grindersto customize his clubs, and extensively test his new golf balls before atournament.

Curt Sampson does an excellent job of sorting through Hogan'smany myths and providing an informative biography. This book doesn't portrayHogan as superhuman; it tells of his early failures, as well as his successes. Itallows readers to form opinions without trying to influence them. Hogan can beviewed as a shy, hard-working boy from Texas, but also an arrogant smart aleckwho wouldn't give the media straight answers.

I've always been a fan ofBen Hogan, and after reading this book, I'm also a fan of Curt Sampson.