The Story of My Life: An Afghan Girl on the Other Side of the Sky by Farah Ahmedi with Tamim Ansary | Teen Ink

The Story of My Life: An Afghan Girl on the Other Side of the Sky by Farah Ahmedi with Tamim Ansary MAG

In The Story of My Life: An Afghan Girl on the Other Side of the Sky, Farah Ahmedi writes about life in Afghanistan, Germany, Pakistan, and America. Her memoir is enlightening, especially for teens who have never lived in other countries.

Farah Ahmedi, currently a college student, wrote her story for ABC’s “Good Morning America” contest. She won, and has since visited everywhere from the White House to libraries. Now she is the Youth Ambassador for Adopt-A-Minefield, an organization that eliminates minefields and helps minefield victims like her.

When Farah was in second grade, she stepped on a landmine, which led to the loss of her leg. “I was late for school,” writes Farah, “and that’s all I could think about. I started across the field. And then suddenly a fire flashed in my face and the earth seemed to move beneath my feet. I remember a shower of soil and then nothing.” Ahmedi describes the pain, hopeless confusion, and horror she suffered as a result of her injury. In Germany she benefited from better care and prosthetic treatment and spent two years away from her family, often feeling very lonely. Later, Farah lost her father and sisters when a rocket hit their house.

Farah and her mother escaped to Pakistan, where she worked as a servant, tolerating harsh treatment and hunger, but she never gave up. Despite all the tragedy she endured, Farah’s faith only grew stronger. Now her book inspires people everywhere to persevere during hard times.

In America, Farah’s life took a turn for the better, although adjusting to a foreign culture was difficult. Farah went to school, but had no American friends. She writes, “I know it’s hard for American students to reach out to us refugees ... But ... It’s harder for us to reach out to you - we, with our clumsy English. I want to say, ‘Don’t be afraid of us - you have to understand: We’re afraid of you.’” Farah has an important point: too often high school students fail to reach out to others.

Farah Ahmedi’s book is heartwrenching and powerful. It’s as if you’re in the same room as Farah, listening to her tell her story, allowing you to relive her life as if you’d been there. Farah Ahmedi is an amazing person who has made an impact with her miraculous story.

i love this !

#LOL14 said...
on Nov. 30 2015 at 2:07 pm
#LOL14,
wow love the book, when i first got it half my book was printed upside down

Darkotic said...
on Nov. 23 2015 at 9:18 am
Darkotic,
Woah, Books exist? This is the greatest things since canned bread!

on Nov. 4 2015 at 9:02 am
Link_Hero_of_Time,
And I can't wait to read it!

on Nov. 4 2015 at 9:01 am
Link_Hero_of_Time,
This book exists

on Jan. 29 2013 at 10:54 am
Scribbleaway. BRONZE, Karachi, Other

Paper is more patient then people. Anne Frank
“It doesn’t matter. I have books, new books, and I can bear anything as long as there are books.”
“Sometimes I think books are the only friends worth having.”
“Fill your paper with the breathings of you
“Tears are words that need to be written.”

Would love to read it. 

lalala said...
on Dec. 3 2012 at 7:19 pm
good book i love it

on May. 11 2012 at 9:44 am
CrystalAngelDol SILVER, Queens, New York

Never tell your problems to anyone...20% don't care and the other 80% are glad you have them.
- Lou Holtz

might read this book, excellent review

Cassie444 said...
on Oct. 6 2011 at 8:08 am
love this book

on Nov. 30 2010 at 5:22 pm
I agree i loved this book!! very good review