Let's Roll by Lisa Beamer with Ken Abraham | Teen Ink

Let's Roll by Lisa Beamer with Ken Abraham MAG

By Anonymous

     Let’s Roll! Ordinary People, Extraordinary Courage is a biography written by Lisa Beamer with Ken Abraham. Beamer’s husband, Todd, was one of the brave heroes on United Flight 93 on September 11, 2001. This is not the typical 9/11 story, though. Already the mother of two boys, Lisa was pregnant when Todd died. Unlike some Americans who dealt with the tragedy simply by despising the terrorists and seeking vengeance, Lisa relied on her faith in God to help her through this horrific experience.

This memoir not only features the life of the Beamer family, it gives shocking details of all the events of that day. Looking back, I never knew what actually happened. Now, after reading Let’s Roll!, I have deeper empathy for those lost lives. This book has made me question my faith, and what my actions would be in a similar situation.

You might be curious as to how the title of the book connects with the story. Throughout Todd’s life, “Let’s roll” was his personal phrase. His sons knew when Daddy said “Let’s roll,” they better be ready to head out the door. “Let’s roll” also happened to be Todd’s last words as he followed through with the plan to attack the terrorists aboard his plane.

I read this book when a friend recommended it, and now I know why she did! You become addicted to it from page one. Beamer uses language that is easy to comprehend yet creates vivid images. You too will return to what you were doing in the moments the terrorists attacked.

All Americans could benefit from reading this book. Too many of us stay hooked on the past, yet Lisa is using this tragedy as a way to move forward. This book taught me to always move on, yet never forget.