New Moon. | Teen Ink

New Moon.

May 5, 2009
By autumn24 BRONZE, East Bethany, New York
autumn24 BRONZE, East Bethany, New York
4 articles 6 photos 0 comments

New Moon by Stephanie Meyer is a great follow up to Twilight. The book was a #1 New York Times Bestseller. In the second book many questions are answered. To start of the book Bella is thrown an 18th birthday party by Alice Cullen. Bella is not looking forward to turning 18 at all. She wants to be transformed into a vampire at 17 years old just as Edward was. But she accepts the party Alice gives her. While Bella was unwrapping a gift, she gets a paper cut which releases Bella's blood. Jasper was the newest addition to the family, and is new to only feeding of the blood of animals. The scent of the blood is overwhelming to Jasper and he tries attacking Bella. The situation is mortifying to both Bella, and Edward. In order to protect Bella, Edward thinks the best thing to do is to break up with Bella. Bella is mortified, and can't even think. Edward, and his family end up leaving Forks leaving Bella with nobody. For a long time period Bella becomes severely depressed with the break up. She ends up seeking comfort from her family friend Jacob Black who helps her ease the pain over losing Edward.
Over time Bella, and Jacob started to develop a very close friendship. Bella starts to realize that dangerous activities started to help her hear or see or remember Edward more clearly. She was questioning whether or not she was starting to go crazy, but Bella swore every time she rode the motorcycle she could hear Edward's voice telling her to stop, which was comforting to her. While Jacob and Bella become closer she starts to notice strange behavior from him. She quickly discovers Jacob is a werewolf and that the legend was indeed true. Bella then realizes she is in great danger as she finds out Victoria is looking for Bella. Victoria is looking for revenge since the Cullens killed her love, James. So now Victoria wants to kill Edward's love, Bella. The werewolves ended up killing Laurent in the meadow, and were then protecting Bella from Victoria now. Meanwhile, miscommunications start to occur between Edward, and Bella. In order for Bella to hear Edward's voice she decides to go cliff diving alone. Bella almost dies, and Jacob saved her from the strong current killing her. On the same day Charlie's very close friend, Harry Clearwater, dies.
While Jacob brought home Bella he answered the phone for her saying how Charlie was at a funeral. Bella was very curious as to who called, and Jacob said Carlisle called. She was so angry at Jacob for not saying anything to her. Alice Cullen surprisingly shows up for Bella telling her Edward fled to Italy to tell the Volturi to kill him. Alice then explained, Edward thought Bella jumped off the cliff in order to kill herself, he was the one who really called Bella, and when Jacob said Charlie was at a funeral Edward thought he meant Bella's funeral. Bella is devastated that Edward is trying to kill himself. Bella decides to leave with Alice to rush to Italy and save Edward and arrive just in time to stop Edward. Bella, and Alice end up making it in time from stopping Edward. Before they leave Italy, the Volturi tell them that Bella, must be killed or changed into a vampire because no human can know the secret of the vampires existence. After they return to Forks, Edward explains to Bella he still and always loved her but he was just trying to protect her. Bella decides to forgive Edward for leaving her. To end the book the Cullens vote in favor to transform Bella into a vampire after graduation. Rosalie nor Edward are too happy about Bella and the family's choice. Eclipse comes next in the series which is also an excellent read.