Broken: A HamilPoem | Teen Ink

Broken: A HamilPoem

November 30, 2017
By IzzyJuniper BRONZE, Wellesley , Massachusetts
IzzyJuniper BRONZE, Wellesley , Massachusetts
4 articles 0 photos 4 comments

Favorite Quote:
“Learn to think continentally.”- Alexander Hamilton


Broken
A word that shreds my ears each time I hear it.
I suppose I should’ve created some kind of resilience towards it.
But to no avail
Everything shattered after Phillip died..
My son..a lone angel up there..
How I wish I could've done something to stop it..
But the demons of my work took me captive and turned me into an automaton..
I closed myself off from the ones that I loved most and pushed them further away than I already had.

My dearest Betsey..
I wish I could say I knew how she felt..
But I am not her
I will never be one to match my Eliza.
Her disguise as a meek little mouse, on the inside reveals her true self as a powerful lioness.

I was angry at her when Phillip first died..
I thought she was being weak, closing herself off from all of the world
But now I know
I am the weak one


I am no more the man I used to be, just a shell of myself.
As my dear John Laurens once said, “You, Alexander have an aura that will outshine those who surround you!”
I took that statement with pride, I had always been praised for my ethic both on and off the battlefield, but it was different coming from Laurens.
If my dear Laurens could see me now, what would he say?
“How could you, Alexander?! You were so smart on the terrain, why not now?”
Or maybe
“I should’ve known you were just a dirty, immigrant rat from the start!”
As I ponder these outcomes, I picture my dear friend’s eyes which were always so happy and filled with life..
...suddenly filled with anger and hate..
Stop it, Alexander! God, get a grip! I think to myself.
But I can’t get a grip..
Because I am

B r o k e n..


The author's comments:

This is a poem based on the Smash-Hit musical Hamilton, based on the life of founding father, Alexander Hamilton  It’s a very thought-provoking musical, having listened to the soundtrack over 40+ Times. All of the songs in the show manage to show an event in Hamilton’s life..but from his and other character’s perspectives. I love to see a story from different angles..

But I didn’t think a song would tell the whole story. 

I decided to delve deeper into the characters’ personalities and try to capture their feelings in my own way that I think is right. 

This is the first poem in my series, about the untimely death of  Hamilton’s son, Phillip.

This isn’t to mock the creator of Hamilton, Lin-Manuel Miranda in any way. I think what he has created will forever shake the core of Broadway theartre.

This is just my interpretation of the story.

Enjoy, and please give constructive criticism