Takes a Bit More | Teen Ink

Takes a Bit More

June 8, 2016
By czimmerman13 BRONZE, Harleysville, Pennsylvania
czimmerman13 BRONZE, Harleysville, Pennsylvania
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Perhaps the time I scraped my knee when I was young is the reason I'm afraid to fall. Perhaps the time my dog nipped me on the hand is the reason I'm afraid to trust. Perhaps the time the boys made fun of me in the hallway for wearing that t-shirt I wore that was so dear to my heart is the reason I'm afraid to be myself. Perhaps the time my lunch was taken from me on the playground is the reason I'm afraid to be weak.
Perhaps the time I met a wonderful human who I shared all my secrets in who decided to stay with me is the reason I still tend to trust. Perhaps the time the boy in the hallway said I looked nice in the t-shirt i was wearing that was so dear to my heart is the reason I still tend to be myself. Perhaps the time I lost a person to the arms of God is the reason I still tend to be weak. Perhaps the time I fell in love and the euphoria that I felt was enough to be the reason I still tend to fall.


The author's comments:

The song "You" by The 1975 inspired the title of this piece. The piece itself is my brain fighting with itself on why I'm unable to do things, but why I still end up doing them.