Dying and the Days Remain | Teen Ink

Dying and the Days Remain MAG

By JcrewTattoo GOLD, Santa Cruz, California
JcrewTattoo GOLD, Santa Cruz, California

The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.” Christopher McCandless

After a while, the days turn into the sounds of airplanes tearing through the sky, cars decisively going nowhere, birds from Bambi, the sunlight oozing from the blinds. They become a living, breathing thing, a beast with its tail wrapped around the wall of your house. If the walls aren’t safe, then lock yourself in your room, and if your room isn’t safe, under your desk. Wait for the cars to slow like a dying pulse, wait for the light to fade like closing eyes, wait to breathe. Feel something. Wait to be alive. It squeezes until the walls cave inwards like rubber. Tell yourself it’s nothing, but its hot breath rattles the curtains, and you remember how you used to kill them when they woke. Fearless by breakfast. Unstoppable by brunch. You never lost as long as you faced them, but you’re under the desk, waiting to breathe.

on Nov. 5 2015 at 10:35 am

Thank you so much everyone! It really means a lot. wow.

gladinorsk SILVER, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

"I said to the LORD, "You are my Lord; apart from you I have no good thing." Psalm 16:2

(I'm not clumsy. I just do random gravity checks...Yep, still works!)

The imagery here is excellent. The beginning captured my attention, but it's the middle that really impressed me. "And if the walls...rattles the curtains" is my favorite part.

OurVoices PLATINUM, Merrimac, Massachusetts

"It takes courage to grow up and turn out to be who you really are" - e.e. cummings

this piece is absolutely amazing, it captures the fear of facing a day so perfectly. I am awestruck, great job

on Aug. 7 2015 at 9:46 am
SomeoneMagical PLATINUM, Durham, New Hampshire
I love this piece! Excellent work! I would like to see a continuation...keep up the good work. Congrats for exerting an editor's check!