Dying and the Days Remain This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. This work has won the Teen Ink contest in its category.

After a while, the days turn into the sounds of airplanes tearing through the sky, cars decisively going nowhere, birds from Bambi, the sunlight oozing from the blinds. They become a living, breathing thing, a beast with its tail wrapped around the wall of your house. If the walls aren’t safe, then lock yourself in your room, and if your room isn’t safe, under your desk. Wait for the cars to slow like a dying pulse, wait for the light to fade like closing eyes, wait to breathe. Feel something. Wait to be alive. It squeezes until the walls cave inwards like rubber. Tell yourself it’s nothing, but its hot breath rattles the curtains, and you remember how you used to kill them when they woke. Fearless by breakfast. Unstoppable by brunch. You never lost as long as you faced them, but you’re under the desk, waiting to breathe.

This work has won the Teen Ink contest in its category. This piece won the November 2015 Teen Ink Poetry Contest.

CatJacket This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Nov. 5, 2015 at 10:35 am
Thank you so much everyone! It really means a lot. wow.

gladinorsk This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
The imagery here is excellent. The beginning captured my attention, but it's the middle that really impressed me. "And if the walls...rattles the curtains" is my favorite part.

OurVoices said...
this piece is absolutely amazing, it captures the fear of facing a day so perfectly. I am awestruck, great job

KittyKat1419 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Aug. 7, 2015 at 9:46 am
I love this piece! Excellent work! I would like to see a continuation...keep up the good work. Congrats for exerting an editor's check!