On the Road to Damascus | Teen Ink

On the Road to Damascus

December 4, 2013
By djmdwl94 SILVER, Loving, New Mexico
djmdwl94 SILVER, Loving, New Mexico
5 articles 1 photo 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight O Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer. Psalm 19:14


Child, open your eyes. You've been living in the dark for far too long.
Lift your hands to the skies. We'll sing a new song, we'll sing a new song.

But God You just don't get it, do You? You don't know the things I've had to do, what I've seen, what I've been through. Do You?

Open your eyes; we'll sing a new song.

Drugs flood the streets, husbands and wives cheat, and I'm just trying to compete with everyone else riding in the back seat, behind the enemy
Driving down the road to Damascus. And they'll ask us: "Why?"

Lift your hands to the skies, we'll sing a new song.

You know, everyone has a plan. What they want to do, where they want to go.
I had a plan. Oh no, not just any plan. A plan to avoid plans.
Forget decisions, visions, or prepared provision. I had a cure for the human condition; that is-- demolition.
Destruction was on my mind because it seemed the only way to save from further corruption, at least, at the time. It's funny how he chose to change my mind.

Open your eyes; we'll sing a new song.

Saul had a plan. Christians were ridiculed, persecuted, and put to death at his hand.
I might as well have been that man.
He planned to cut off the church and cause hurt,
But let's take a look at the book of Acts and it will help us understand.
Chapter 9 outlines that as Saul neared the outside of the city, his plan became... tricky.
His state of mind was refined and his plan undermined as he was struck BLIND; and Christ helped to realign his path-- his plan.

Lift your hands to the skies, we'll sing a new song.

But isn't it funny; we're all blind on our own anyway.
Despite what we have to say, truth is; that blinding light is the clearest sight we'll ever have to privilege to fight.
I had a plan, but no better than Adam and Eve's before the fall of man.
The road to hell is paved with good intentions, and did I mention, that allowing Satan a foothold in any ordeal is like handing him the steering wheel.
I thought I was going to Damascus for my own reasons, but my merciful King used my treason for His glory.
And now, what a story.
About how his blinding light struck me without sight, and now-- I finally see.
It was never about me.

Child, open your eyes. We'll sing a new song.
Lift your hands to the skies; we'll sing a new song,
Sing a new song.


The author's comments:
This is a story about how Saul became Paul and I became a child of God.
Everyone has a story, don't be ashamed to share yours- it might be just the thing someone needs to hear.