Insanity | Teen Ink

Insanity MAG

By NemoMag GOLD, Hanna, Other
NemoMag GOLD, Hanna, Other

Insanity
there is no such thing as
freedom from oppression,
because we live in a world where there is
legal evil and despicable practices,
we struggle against the
truth,
as we start to embrace
the darkness inside,
we know we can defeat
change,
a fearful thing, but with
good-hearted intentions
polluted
we shall succeed with destroying
trust between multiple races
it's just the beginning, starting with
hope and logic
no longer belonging in this world of mine
cruelty, arrogance, and hatred are
not foolish notions; because the fact is
love, acceptance, and equality are
not what rules this planet
insanity is

(Now read it backwards)

In social we were talking about cultural profiling, that is judging people by their culture / ethnic back ground for searching and discrimination especially for travel. A surprising amount of people thought this was acceptable - I did not.

on Mar. 11 2012 at 11:05 am
celloizmylife PLATINUM, Atlanta, Georgia

Around here, however, we don't look backwards for very long.
We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things, because we're curious.....And curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.
-Walt Disney

Loads of my friends had to do this style of poem, read forwards and backwards. I respect it due to the great message, the quality of the poem front-ways, and the difficulty of making something like this, but I felt like the reversed way was a little incoherant at times. I've seen ones like this where the grammar still makes sense when it's reversed, but I didn't see that here. A little editing and it could easily be fixed.

alicen1ndrland GOLD, Bethesda, Maryland

“The moment you think you understand a great work of art, it's dead for you.”
~Oscar Wilde
I must lie down where all the ladders start
In the foul rag and bone shop of the heart.
~William Butler Yeats

While I've seen this sort of thing attempted, I've never seen anything quite so coherent both ways--with such a powerful message! keep up the good work ok?

on Dec. 4 2010 at 6:39 am
Boosflash DIAMOND, Papillion, Nebraska

What the front door.

.......whats the screenname?

on Nov. 1 2010 at 7:43 am
Alisha62293 BRONZE, Warwick, Rhode Island

"A man who dares to waste one hour of time has not discovered the value of life." Charles Darwin

I love what you did with this poem, and i couldnt agree more with your message. I am half puerto rican and most people really cant tell. I got a job, and then they found out my nationality and they fired me. They wont admit it, but everyone knows thats why. Equality is very important, and even though not everyone views people with equality in mind, i guess it kinda makes up for all of the people that do.

i love your word choice, and i am totally looking forward to reading more of your work! Keep up the good work!

spiritualrevelationrevealspainandrevolution PLATINUM, Eugene, Oregon
this is the first poem that ive actually really liked

hollyhottell DIAMOND, Redding, California

poetry is a diary written out loud

is is soooooo good and the backwards thing was kool.good job...i have a poem called insanity too lol its way diffrent it actually bout a insane person

CarolynQ GOLD said...
CarolynQ GOLD, Manalapan, New Jersey
this poem took my breath away... truely talented. :]

julia_elg said...
on Jun. 6 2010 at 12:40 am
julia_elg, Valley Village, California

"And of course there must be something wrong / In wanting to silence any song." - Robert Frost, "A Minor Bird"

Wow, this is so powerful! I actually like the meaning both forwards and backwards. Forwards, it feels like a rant at all of the craziness and hate in the world...backwards, it's a beautifully optimistic - but not naive - view of the world.

I noticed you live in Canada, but have you heard about the new immigration law in Arizona? It sort of fits in with the issue of racial profiling, and it's a pretty big issue in the U.S. right now.

This is unrelated, but I also have to say the forwards/backwards idea is so cool. I love playing around with the structure of words. I actually tried writing a poem that works forwards and backwards with individual words, rather than lines. It was really hard, but in a way what you did is harder because you have to keep the same line breaks. I wonder if it could be done with letters, like an actual palindrome-poem?

on May. 21 2010 at 10:35 am
bkcrider92 GOLD, Roslyn Harbor, New York

“When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.”

This is my favorite poem I've ever read! I honestly think this i genius! i read it both ways and its absolutely amazing! I'm speechless! I would be so honored if an amazing writer as you could read my poem Memories! Could you comment and rate it please? =D

NemoMag GOLD said...
NemoMag GOLD, Hanna, Other
Thanks! = )

NemoMag GOLD said...
NemoMag GOLD, Hanna, Other
Thank you very much. ^^

Eilatan GOLD said...
Eilatan GOLD, Old Greenwich, Connecticut

"Nobody is normal. Everybody in the world is a weirdo freak. Except you, which makes you a weirdo freak."

this is completely amazing!!!!

i LOVE the forwards/backwards aspect, this is the first palindroem (palindrome and poem- a word of my own invention) i've ever seen! I love how you incorperate this inventive aspect but manage to have a coherent, meaningful poem(s) at the same time!!!! this is truly a magnificent peice of work!!!!

serena said...
this is awesome :)