Ice Cream Bar | Teen Ink

Ice Cream Bar

December 5, 2017
By Bertlucas03 BRONZE, Cascade, Iowa
Bertlucas03 BRONZE, Cascade, Iowa
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

On a normal summer’s day, my plan was sleeping in, ‘til I was woken up against my will,
But when Dad came in and said, “We need to go see Jeff” my excitement only went uphill.
Whenever I got the chance to see Uncle Jeff, every aspect of the world had a pleasance.
He always had such a positive vibe, that I loved being in his presence.
Another plus to visiting Jeff, was he continually gave me treats at the farm.
There were numerous snacks he had laid out, but my favorite was the ice cream bar.

So I rushed down the stairs to make myself toast, as excited as I could possibly be,
When sitting around, looking somber as ever, was my entire family.
While frozen in my spot and becoming confused, I desperately looked around for an answer.
Dad looked me in the eye and with a low quiet voice, said, “Your Uncle Jeff has brain cancer.”
As my eyes grew wide and started to tear, my heart dropped like a hundred-pound weight.
Then Dad told me to hurry and get dressed, as we had to leave right away.

We drove to the hospital and with glum emotions, we just listened to the sound of the car.
I didn’t know much of cancer at the time, but I knew it wasn’t good by far
When walking to the room where Jeff was being held, my mind began to wonder.
What if Jeff doesn’t do very well? What if he can’t live any longer?
Then I walked in the room and all my bad thoughts just left, as I saw the smile across his face.
Everything paused, and I felt relieved, as if I were lost in time and space.

Then Thanksgiving came around, and Jeff wasn’t doing so well; he was given a month to live.
We took him out of the hospital to make more good memories before his life could give.
It was December 20th, 2012, when Dad and I decided to visit Jeff one night,
Before my cousin would come in to watch over him and make sure he’s alright.
Waking up the next morning, Dad came to me and explained what happened the night before.
Jeff fell asleep right after we left, and he’ll never breath anymore.

I went upstairs into my bed, and in my sheets, I laid curled.
My eyes filled with tears as I began to weep for the best Godfather in the world.
I thought of all the great times we had, living without worry.
Now everything that we went through together, all seemed so blurry.
But his last night on Earth, is one memory I will never leave my mind,
For I shared with him our last ice cream bar, and heard his last goodbye.
 


The author's comments:

Writing about my Uncle Jeff that died of brain cancer when i was 12