Should Parents Discourage Their Children from Playing Video Games? | Teen Ink

Should Parents Discourage Their Children from Playing Video Games?

Gaming has become a world wide phenomenon. With an enormous market and millions of different breakthroughs and games. Regardless the industry has suffered its amount of criticism. As players begin to dive into the virtual world they tend to become secluded to a point of endangering their health. Treated like outcasts their only pillar of support comes from video games. But are video games just a bottomless hole?

Not entirely. Today various studies have documented the after effects and benefits of gaming. Video Games aid in the development of cognitive skills in children and adults. Skills like coordination, problem-solving, enchaining memory, improving reaction speed, ect.

According to IFLScience explained that the "Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences by Vikranth Bejjanki and colleagues. Their newly published paper demonstrates that the playing of action video games – the sort of fast-paced, 3D shoot-em-up beloved of doomsayers in the media – confirms what other studies have revealed, that players show improved performance in perception, attention, and cognition."

It was also researched the effects of video games on people with disabilities. "A 2013 study published in Cell investigated the effect that playing action games, like 'Rayman Raving Rabbids', could help dyslexic children aged 7 to 13 year read faster, with no loss in accuracy."

On the other hand video games are not supposed to separate children from their families. A certain amount of control over the child should be admitted. Parents and their children should find a happy medium between family time and video games.