You want a Black Belt? Here's what it's like. | Teen Ink

You want a Black Belt? Here's what it's like.

By VibhaRamesh BRONZE, Mason, Ohio
VibhaRamesh BRONZE, Mason, Ohio

What does it mean to me to finally receive my Black Belt?

My Journey is something that I will treasure forever. I’ve met so many new types of people, learned so many new things, and have developed my personality into who I am today.

The lessons that I’ve learned at The Dojo are lessons that I couldn’t have learned anywhere else. I wouldn’t be who I am today; I wouldn’t have the same opinions, the same interests, etc.

I’ve learned how to communicate effectively, how to be a leader, how to study in a way that works for me, and how to do a Ganseki Nage throw.

I’ve learned to never judge somebody based on their looks, that every person is unique and beautiful in their own way, and that diversity is what makes a great group of people.

But most importantly, I’ve learned that you can do much more than you think you are capable of. Most of the time, we are our worst critics. It doesn’t matter if somebody thinks that you are doing well on something. You are always going to want to do better than whatever performance you have already given. This was a big lesson for me because I never thought that I was capable of reaching this position, and being here is so surreal for me.

When I first got to the Dojo, I was just a scared, little kid. I walked through the lobby at around age 6, and the first thing that I remember seeing was these groups of people, lined up to fight each other. After that, I really didn’t want to come back. But I did. I stayed and started out in the Little Ninjas, up until my Camo - Blue Belt. After that, progressing to Youth was a little intimidating. I was the youngest kid in the class, and definitely the shortest. But I made some friends, and I met some really nice instructors, like Ms. Barker, and Mr. Johnson, and Mr. Norcross. My friends and instructors, as well as the supportive atmosphere, is what got me to keep coming.

I was progressing really well, but that took a turn as soon as I reached the red belts. My parents were in the midst of switching jobs, and it was very difficult to match our schedules so that I could come to the Dojo. During that year, I didn’t come to the Dojo as much. It was hard for my parents, as well myself, to be able to fit it into our schedule as often.

That meant that my graduations were not as frequent and that I was missing out on a lot. When I finally started coming regularly, it was difficult for me to see that all of my friends and peers were ahead. And that taught me another lesson, and it was jealousy or lack thereof. You should never be upset with yourself if other people are achieving something that you aren’t. If anything, you should just be happy for them.

After that year, everything was back up to speed, and I entered Level 3. Level 3 came as a shock to me, as there were so many new techniques and things to learn. It excited me, however, and I was so thrilled to be getting so much closer to my Black Belt. It seemed like time was flying. I couldn’t believe how fast my training was going. It seemed like such a short while, and I was finally into the Brown Belts.

My Journey has filled with ups and downs, as every journey is when you are so dedicated and so passionate about reaching a goal. This moment in time was particularly a down. It was like something was stopping me from moving on. The first thing that I did was to pass my written test.

It took a lot of work, a lot studying, a lot of memorization, and a lot of time. I walked in, to take my test, and I was surprised, as this was so incredibly easy for me. I passed my written history test the first time, with an A. That was a moment where I felt so proud of myself, and so accomplished. It was my attitude and my initiative that got me that score. And this is where I learned another major lesson. Everything is only what you make of it, and it’s all based on how you view it. Your attitude can affect anything that you do.

But after this, coming to the Physical Brown Belt Tests, were very difficult. It seemed that every time a Brown Belt Test was scheduled, I had a conflict. I pushed through and kept telling myself that I would get my Black Belt, eventually. As soon as I started coming to Brown Belt tests, I learned that it wasn’t just about you. Everybody was there for the same reason. They had the same goal as you, and we all deserved to be there. We had earned our place.

Getting through the Brown Belt tests as a Youth Student, and a girl, was very strenuous. I really had to prove myself, and I wasn’t sure whether I could do it or not. There were some things that I did exceptionally, and there were some things that could definitely use improvement. And here, in one of the last stages before my first degree, I learned the biggest lesson. That I could do anything that wanted to, and I was capable of anything that I set my mind to, I just didn’t think I could. But I proved myself wrong, and I was able to do it. To get through my training, my tests, etc.

On top of everything, I’ve learned how to be a better role model, a better student, and teacher. Helping to coach the Little Dragons, Little Ninjas, and Youth classes were very eye-opening. Teaching the little kids reminded me of what I was like when I was that age. I was so amazed that I had come this far. Teaching has taught me how to handle stressful situations, how to manage a big crowd, how to remain in authority, and more.

I’ve seen so many people go, and so many people come in. Out of my Little Ninjas class, I am one of the only people that are still here. It’s really sad when you have to say goodbye to somebody who you would have liked to spend more time training with. And it’s even more upsetting to say goodbye to somebody who you’ve grown up with, or gotten know a lot better.

I still remember the day when I had my BBC induction ceremony. I was 9 years old, and I was really nervous. I was committing myself to getting my black belt that day. And when I closed my eyes and imagined what my black belt would be like, I imagined myself as a 16-year-old girl, that was really tall, and looked a lot different than I do now. To think I accomplished my goals before I thought I would is something that I could never have predicted.

Not quitting was really difficult, as somebody who had an increasingly busy schedule. Prioritizing my activities and interests in a way that still made time for my school work and extracurriculars took a lot of time and thinking. I’ve quit a lot of different things over the years, and it makes me proud to say that this isn’t one of those things. Budo really set me apart, growing up. It was something different that I did, that not a lot of other people knew about, and that made it all the more special to me. I never wanted to let it go because I would lose so much.

I can’t imagine not coming here 3-4 times a week and training. When I don’t, I actually feel like something is wrong. I feel guilty, that I’m depriving myself of time in the Dojo.

I can recall times when I’ve walked into the Dojo, not to train, but to find a peaceful place to do my work. It’s amazing what you can accomplish in the right setting.

Finally, getting my First Degree Black Belt is a dream come true, literally. I have been dreaming about these days for months on end, and it never loses the excitement that it gives me. And even after my ceremony, I think I will look back on this day, and remember every second, every moment.

Earning your Black Belt feels so much better than having it handed to you. You feel a huge sense of pride, self-esteem, and you feel more powerful than you could ever imagine. I’m looking forward to everything about the ceremony, no matter how tired, or discouraged I may get because I know that in the end, the rewards are high.

So after everything in My Journey, receiving my Shodan 1st Degree Black Belt means so much to me. I’ve had to let so many things go to get to where I am today, and I’m so glad that I’m not only receiving my Black Belt, I’m receiving so many lessons, friends, and experiences that I wouldn’t have found anywhere else.

I wrote this piece about a year ago when I was gearing up to earn my Black Belt. I never thought that I would come around to publish it anywhere other than our school website, but as the one-year anniversary approaches, I felt that this piece contains a message that everyone needs to hear. Yes, Martial Arts contains violence. Yes, it's very hardcore. But it also teaches you life values and morals that you will cherish forever. For Example - You never know what you're capable of if you don't try.