Baseball | Teen Ink

Baseball

By brandon.naitons BRONZE, Grand Saline, Texas
brandon.naitons BRONZE, Grand Saline, Texas

Who knew that baseball would become this popular? I don’t think anyone thought that it would be loved by so many people, especially Abner Doubleday. Abner Doubleday is the man credited for the creation of baseball. Many people look at him as the inventor of the game. But he really didn’t invent the game. It originally came from England. He was just the first person to play it in the United States of America. He was just a normal person for his time. He served many years in the military, just like everyone else in his time.

The game has developed a big name in the United States. There is even a professional baseball league. That has 30 teams in it. The teams all play for one goal: to win the World Series. But first before the teams get to the World Series. They have to play in the playoffs. The playoffs has the structure like a  tournament. There are 10 total teams in the playoffs. They play series of 7 games but the first team to win 4 games is the winner.
All of the players that play Major League Baseball (MLB) get pay a good amount of money. When I say good I mean great, most players get paid at least a million dollars a year. Some of the best players in the game get paid way more. For instance Clayton Kershaw, the best pitcher in the MLB today , signed a seven year $215,000.00 contract. He makes about $31,000,000 dollars a year, not including bonuses or anything.

The United States isn’t the only place that has professional baseball. There are  professional baseball organization in Japan and other countries. Some of MLB’s greatest icons have came from the Japanese league. Like one of the best hitter that has ever played in the USA is Ichiro Suzuki. He started in the Japanese league and moved to the MLB. He has had a lot of success in the MLB. He has played for a couple of team and has always played a key role. Another person who played in Japan before the MLB is Yu Darvish. Yu is an all-star pitcher and played for the Texas Rangers and the Los Angeles Dodgers. He is currently a free agent in the MLB.

Free agency is what happens when a players contract runs out and they don’t sign back to that team. So the point of free agency is to see what teams are interested in signing and specific person. For instance, a top free agent in the MLB is Yu Darvish. He has like 6 teams that are really interested in him and he has yet to sign. But other players that are younger and not considered an elite player. May only have one or two teams that are interested. The reason being that they have yet to perform in the greatest way possible. Many teams overlook the very talented but young prospects.

There are many talented people in the world that people will never know about. One reason may be that, they don’t want to play baseball for a living. But a big reason is that they were not exposed as they should have been. By being exposed, I mean they didn’t play in the games they needed to. To get a lot of exposure one may want to play in tournaments. Most young baseball players that want to be good play on select teams. I’m not saying that someone can’t be good if they dont play. But most good players have played on a select team.
Select baseball can be found all over the place. It is very popular in the southern states. Most all of the big cities in Texas have some type of select team. Even some cities have an organizations that have multiple teams of different ages. There are many age groups, from 4 and under to 18 and under. Once a player gets to 15 and under they start having Showcase tournaments. Most of the time a Showcase tournaments are held at the big collages around the area. In Texas many colleges have held these tournaments. Like The University of Texas, Texas Christian College, and The University of Oklahoma.

Many people don’t understand the fact that baseball isn’t a game that anyone can be good at. Many kids think that they can start playing in high school and be good. That’s not the case! Baseball is a game that takes a lot of practice and mental toughness. Many people try to play the game but it’s hard to just come into a game that’s hard.

There are two sides of the game of baseball. A mental side and a physical side. The hardest part of the game is the mental part. It’s the hardest part because everything that happens has to go through your head. Like when your getting a ground ball. It takes a little bit of time for it to get to you, so you have to think. Everything about baseball started to get hard when you start thinking. The only thing that has to go through your mind is just having fun. Another thing that is hard it having enough hand eye coordination to hit. Hitting is a mental thing because everything about it has to go through your head. Like deciding whether or not to swing at the ball coming.

Many things are physical bout the game like running. In like everything you do in baseball you have to run. Like running around the bases or running for a fly ball. One thing that you have to have physical ability is hitting. Hitting is the only thing where you have to twist at your waist. The main thing about hitting the ball is using your waist. More times than not if you can get your hands faster through the zone.

Baseball is America’s pastime. Many people enjoy to just sit and watch a game. Maybe even people will sit and break down the game as it goes on. There are many different aspects of the game to watch. More times than not you have to turn the tv off for some people to stop watching it.