History of Hockey | Teen Ink

History of Hockey

January 26, 2018
By Anonymous

The great game of hockey has many components, such as agility, speed, and toughness. This topic is important to people that love hockey and want to know more about their passion and what they love. People will learn about how the sport came to be and how the hockey league went from a small game in Britain to a world wide sport. People will also learn how to win the coveted Stanley Cup.

 

The game of hockey was invented by a man named Charles Darwin. Charles Darwin adapted this sport from a stick and ball game from Britain in the 18th and 19th century. One day, Charles Darwin sent a letter to his son saying “My Dear Old Willy… have you got a pretty good pond to skate on?” I used to be very fond of playing at Hocky on the ice in skates. (Charles Darwin). He helped organized the sport in Britain, Canada, and America. How he spelled hocky is not a typo. It should have been spelled hockey. It is a British way to spell hockey. In Britain, they called it hurley, hurling, bandy, shinty or shinny. Thanks to Charles Darwin, the first hockey game was played. Many people think that hockey is a canadian sport and was invented in Canada, but it was invented in Britain. Canada adapted hockey and made it a Canadian sport.


The first hockey game was played on March 3, 1875, in Montreal and Quebec. The rink was very small, so James Creighton, one of the people that organized the first game, set each team to have 9 players. Instead of using a puck, they used a ball. The ball was to hard to handle and too dangerous, so the hockey organization moved the object from a ball to a wooden disk, also known as a puck. On 1917, 5 teams played in the National Hockey League. The Canadians, the Wanders, the Ottawa Senators, the Quebec Bulldogs, and the Toronto Arens. They battled out hard in the season and finally two teams made it to the stanley cup finals. Then, theŒ Toronto Arenas won the Stanley Cup. In 1942, the original six teams entered the NHL. Then in 1967, the expansion draft happened and that added more teams to complete the NHL such as the Kings, Penguins, St. Louis Blues, and more. 

The National Hockey League is a league where 31 teams play to win the Stanley Cup. There are 15 teams in the western conference and 16 teams in the eastern conference. Each team plays 82 games, 41 at home and 41 away. After the season, the top 8 teams from each division will advance to the playoffs. They will all be eliminated one by one throughout a four game series until two teams are left. They then will battle for the Stanley Cup. If you win the Stanley Cup, your team’s name along with you name will be engraved on the cup. These are all of the components that you need to know to play and watch this amazing sport.


In conclusion, the components of hockey and the history is very important. When was it invented and who invented it, the first hockey game, and the NHL are very important to all hockey lovers. These are all the components of the most amazing sport on Earth, hockey.

 

Citations
“First Indoor Game of Ice Hockey.” History.com, A&E Television Networks.

Iihf. “The Early Beginning .” History.

Mizera, Kevin. “The NHL Original Six - Who Are They?” The Hockey Writers, 24 Oct. 2017.

“National Hockey League (NHL) Opens Its First Season.” History.com, A&E Television Networks.

“NHL Hockey Standings.” NHL.

Proteau, Adam. “Do You Think Hockey Was Invented in Canada? Think Again.” The Hockey News, 26 May 2014.