I Hate You I Love You... | Teen Ink

I Hate You I Love You...

By Leonfan BRONZE, Belmont, Massachusetts
Leonfan BRONZE, Belmont, Massachusetts

"You must abandon good to become great"

A spiraling football penetrates the cobalt blue sky, whizzing through the calm spring air like a bullet. As your eyes follow the trajectory of the ball, you witness a diving catch, which triggers the joyous shouts of the team.

This is the popular game of football, which is enjoyed not only by me but many millions of Americans. I love the way football is structured, and I love how every play in football has the possibility to change the rest of the game. When watching football, as the ball is launched into the air, there is always a moment of suspense which makes football such a thrilling sport.

But as much as I enjoy watching football, I also enjoy playing football, preferably, playing quarterback. The endless possibilities of how a play of turn out always makes completing a pass a challenge. I believe the quarterback is the most unique position in football, because since the quarterback is naturally the leader of a team, the quarterback is credited for good plays but blamed for bad ones.

As the quarterback, there are times where I throw deep bombs for touchdowns, but also times where I throw multiple interceptions. But I believe the ups and downs of playing quarterback also apply to life. In life, there may be times where you are on the top of the world, but also times where you feel you have fallen down into an abyss. But the key in football and in life is to never give up.

I believe playing football allows me to learn these life lessons in a new way. I can reuse the lessons I learned in football of perseverance, cooperation, and sportsmanship when things don’t go your way, into a different game- the game of life.
While football is exhilarating, swimming is rather banal.

In football all you have to do is grab a football, go outside with some friends, and play. But in swimming, one has to put on swimming gear, find the magically disappearing goggles, and drive to a swimming pool. The process of getting ready for swimming is at least double the time of getting ready for a football game with friends.

In football every play is like a game. There are always so much exciting events in a game such as a miraculous touchdown or a clutch interception. But in swimming there is one goal and one goal only: swimming to one side of the pool, and then the other side of the pool, repeating this process over and over again, while doing it as fast as you can.

During football, you are rewarded with spectaculars views of green fields, the pure blue sky, and the sun radiates heat so you are never to cold. During swimming, in order to maximize the speed of laps, you can look at one thing and one thing only- the swimming floor. Occasionally you may find a dead bug or some band aids floating in the water, but one thing is consistent. Every time you enter a swimming pool, it is cold, especially during the autumn, winter, and spring months.

Not only is the preparation for swimming long, the mandatory tasks after a swim are just as tedious. You need to shower for the health of your hair, and as you exit the swimming area the seemingly lukewarm air before becomes arctic.

In conclusion, football and swimming are on ends of my enjoyment spectrum, and due to different characteristics of each activity, they will likely be very far apart for a long time.